CBO Administrative Programs Manager
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleUniversity Program SpecialistBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleCBO Administrative Programs ManagerSalary Range$31,888 - $80,223Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Experience ($50,000 - $60,000)Salary Grade Equivalency70Position Number00041668Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8am - 5pmDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department110305 - CALS Business OperationsDepartmentCALS Business OperationsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) Business Operations (CBO) is an administrative unit within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and has oversight of the College’s centralized financial and research administration services including: Accounting Services, Budgets and Planning, Business Liaison Services, Research Administration, and Operational Support.
The mission of CALS Business Operations is to provide exceptional customer service while supporting efficient and ethical use of resources. The CBO upholds the academic, research and extension goals and initiatives of the CALS community. The CBO is committed to providing exemplary and responsive customer care, to serving as subject matter expert regarding applicable state, university and federal policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and to achieving and maintaining operational excellence.Essential Job Duties
The CBO Administrative Programs Manager position reports to the Assistant Dean for Business Operations and provides leadership for the administrative unit within the CALS Business Operations department and oversight of three college-wide programs. The position has primary responsibility for the strategic execution and management of the following programs and their compliance on behalf of the entire college: Capital Asset Management (CAMS), System Access Request (SAR), and Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP).
The CBO Administrative Programs Manager position independently develops and directs college-specific processes for college level programs in compliance with overarching program requirements. The position regularly engages stakeholders throughout the college, university, and federal agencies to ensure shared knowledge of program objectives and processes, to facilitate collaborative problem solving, and to exercise critical thinking in making final program decisions in order to achieve program objectives.
The position provides administrative leadership of the department’s internal business operations (financial, HR, etc.) and administrative staff to ensure all administrative requirements of the department are met and college-level programs are effective managed.
The position is expected to:
Lead the department’s administrative staff in managing internal departmental resources, including:
- Providing leadership in all aspects of departmental human resources management activities and compliance, including: assisting unit directors and managers in the recruitment, onboarding, and off-boarding of employees; maintaining and updating position descriptions; timekeeping; accident reporting; performance appraisal recordkeeping; etc.
- Providing leadership of all aspects of internal departmental business processes, including: managing departmental operating budget of $4.5 million; monitoring payroll; and purchasing goods and services for the department in compliance with Federal, State, and University purchasing requirements.
- Providing leadership in all aspects of departmental asset management and disposition (e.g., furnishings, equipment, motor vehicles, and keys).
- Overseeing departmental administrative records management.
- Managing daily mail service.
Effectively manage the Federal Excess Personal Property (FEPP) program on behalf of the college, including:
- Understanding all program components and requirements in order to maximize college participation in and compliance with this federal program.
- Communicating program opportunities, requirements, and processes across the college and work closely with program participants to ensure equipment procured through the program is utilized, accounted for, maintained, and disposed of properly.
- Coordinating with college stakeholders and federal agency representatives to resolve issues and to remain abreast of changing program requirements.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of existing program processes and operations.
- Tracking and auditing program activity for compliance.
- Developing and implementing program improvements that enhance efficiency, program participant satisfaction, and/or compliance.
Effectively manage the college’s System Access Request (SAR) program, including:
- Understanding all program components and requirements in order to develop and implement business processes to ensure the timely and accurate request, review, and authorization of employee access to the university’s financial, human resources, and student information systems.
- Communicating program requirements and processes to program stakeholders across the college, in order to effectively secure access to key university systems.
- Coordinating with university and college representatives regarding SAR program activities, to resolve issues, and to remain abreast of changing requirements.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of existing SAR program processes and operations.
- Tracking and auditing program activity for compliance.
- Developing and implementing changes to the college’s SAR program and processes in order to enhance efficiency, satisfaction, and/or compliance.
Effectively manage the college’s Capital Asset Management (CAMS) program, including:
- Understanding all program components and requirements in order to develop and implement business processes to ensure the accurate recording, control, and annual inventory of college capital assets.
- Communicating program requirements and processes to department level CAMS coordinators across the college program stakeholders across the college, in order to effectively secure access to key university systems.
- Coordinating with university and college representatives regarding capital asset management activities, to resolve issues, and to remain abreast of changing requirements.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of existing college CAMS program processes and operations.
- Tracking and auditing program activity for compliance.
- Developing and implementing changes to the college’s internal CAMS processes in order to enhance efficiency, satisfaction, and/or compliance.
Manage delivery of administrative support of CBO’s operational units in delivery of college-wide Business Operations, including:
- Using a variety of resources to accurately update NCSU Financials (PeopleSoft) to facilitate annual federal reporting needs and facilitate workflow within the post-award unit.
- Using NCSU sponsored programs databases and resources to update CALS internal data management systems to facilitate federal reporting, employee activity reporting, and other business processes including accounts payable functions, and file archiving and disposition.
- Monitoring daily incoming W-9/ACH Vendor Setup forms, ensuring vendors are set up in the PeopleSoft Supplier system, and providing information to the appropriate individuals for processing payments.
- Monitoring generic CBO email accounts for sorting of incoming invoices and distributing to teams for processing.
- Contacting CALS departments regarding outstanding late invoice statements.
Oversee the scheduling and logistics for departmental meetings, conferences, training, and staff travel.
Hires and manages full time administrative staff, student workers and temporary employees in support of the department’s administrative operations.
May serve as primary Building Liaison or as backup to primary Liaison assigned within building of residence.
Perform other related responsibilities as required.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or and equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
Knowledge of best practices and common rules and regulations related to professional administrative support in a large complex institution or organization, to include records management, human resources, financial management, scheduling and event management, and program management.
Knowledge of best practices in employee recruitment, supervision and performance.
Knowledge of best practices in program administration and evaluation.
Excellent program management skills.
Experience with business process mapping and continuous improvement.
Intermediate to advanced skill in using G Suite and Microsoft administrative software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.).
Strong oral and written communication skills.
Excellent customer service skills.
Ability to critically evaluate program performance, make sound decisions and act independently.
Ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders throughout the CBO and College and with university and federal agency representatives in the management of the various programs assigned.
Ability to hire and inspire a team of administrative staff (permanent and temporary) to effectively support the administrative needs and programs of a complex organization with competing demands.
Ability to form independent conclusions and recommendations based on professional knowledge and judgment.
Ability to develop expertise quickly and thoroughly in order to lead and communicate as subject matter expert on programs and activities assigned on behalf of the College or CBO.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Bachelor degree in business administration or related field, and at least seven years of professional administrative support and program management experience in a complex and fast-paced organization.
At least three years of supervisory experience.
Experience in a research intensive, public institution.Required License or Certification
Applicant required documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Contact Information for ReferencesJob Open Date06/20/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)06/27/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date08/05/2019Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the University Program Specialist position.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of related experience
- Master's degree or Doctorate in any field
- Associate's degree and at least 3 years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related area to equal at least 5 years (ex: 1 year of college and 4 years of experience)
- High school diploma/GED and at least 5 years of related experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 9 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 8 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have at least 3 years of successful supervisory experience?
- * Please describe your experience, if any, in a research intensive, public institution.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References