Director of Sustainability
The Office of Sustainability works to further the academic mission of the College by generating and implementing environmentally responsible initiatives with a 360-degree approach, so that students, faculty, staff, and community members are actively engaged in the Office’s efforts.
Lafayette College seeks a Director of Sustainability who will lead campus efforts to build and implement an environmentally sustainable future for the College. The primary responsibilities of the Directorship are:
- To coordinate the College’s various operational and academic efforts in environmental sustainability.
- To lead and develop new programs aimed at fostering a more sustainable campus.
- To ensure the strategic implementation and success of the Climate Action Plan
- To represent the College in regional, national, and global forums on environmental sustainability.
The Director will work with and as a liaison between the academic, administrative, facilities operations, facilities planning and construction, and residential life divisions of the College. The Director will steward existing programs while pioneering new efforts to realize the College as a living laboratory in education on environmental sustainability and environmental management. The Sustainability Director will report to the Vice President for Finance and Administration but will have considerable latitude and independence of action.
The successful candidate will to be a leader who can drive and share in the vision of sustainability, can build partnerships and collaborations, thrive in connectivity on and beyond campus, and is truly committed to partnering with faculty to ensure that sustainability is part of the educational experience of students across campus. The role of the Director will be to recognize and facilitate partnerships across campus, to work closely with Office of Sustainability staff, and to seek to creatively engage students in sustainability efforts campus- wide.
Direct Reports to the Director:
- Assistant Director of Food and Farm
- Sustainability Fellow / Student EcoReps Program
- Campus Energy Manager
- Broad knowledge of environmental management policies, issues, and initiatives and experience managing environmental systems including energy, water, materials, food, and ecological resources is required.
- At least five years’ experience implementing environmental or sustainability programs; experience in a university environment or for a non-profit and LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accredited strongly preferred.
- Direct sustainability experience and a background in sustainability theories and local, national, and global environmental initiatives is strongly desired.
- Prior experience in leading environmental initiatives, managing resource, and teaching/presenting information is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, organizational and management skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a team leader and team member is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in building partnerships and fostering collaboration is required.
- Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking are required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work with shifting priorities and schedules is required.
- Prior grant writing experience strongly preferred.
- Understanding of environmental best practices in academic settings, experience working with diverse groups of individuals, and prior experience in personnel management strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and an ability to learn other software as needed. Preferred: Website management skills.
Education Master’s or other advanced degree in environmental studies or architecture, engineering, environmental management, or science, with an environmental focus (e.g. Ph.D. in Natural Resources, Environmental Policy or related field or an MBA with a sustainability/environmental focus) strongly desired.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package will be offered to the finalist candidate.
Interested and qualified candidates are welcome to submit a resume and cover letter to: [email protected]