About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Maintainer I
State Job Title: Maintainer I
Department: Environmental Services
Job Code: H09X08
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Funding: Shift 1 7115-6001
Funding: Shift 2 7115-0100
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 weeks
Two Positions being filled from one posting
Shift 1: 6:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Regular days off Thursday and Friday
Shift 2: 11:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m. Regular days off Saturday and Sunday
Salary: Bi-Weekly 1,332.39
Supervision Received: Receives direct supervision from a Maintainer II, Maintainer III; staff assistant, manager of environmental services; institution maintenance foreman and/or staff assistant, trades and grounds.
General Statement of Duties: Performs specific cleaning tasks in all campus buildings, including dusting rooms and objects within rooms; washing walls, windows, floors, soiled equipment and objects; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; stripping and refinishing hard surface floors; deep cleaning soft floors/furniture; insuring proper use of cleaning chemicals and equipment; moving furniture/appliances; making general repairs of a simple nature to buildings and equipment; removing snow and performing grounds keeping tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
1. Routinely cleans campus property, such as offices, restrooms, bathrooms, corridors, public spaces, gymnasium and other athletic facilities, classrooms and laboratories, student apartments and rooms, auditoriums, store rooms, stairwells, elevators, etc.
2. Cleans above areas and contents in a systematic and consistent manner as prescribed by departmental procedures and within the standards prescribed.
3. Cleans sidewalks, collects and hauls debris from around buildings.
4. Shovels snow from sidewalks, ramps, entry areas, roofs, etc.
5. Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to University buildings
6. Reports work order issues for repairs to supervisors to correct deficiencies.
7. Assists in maintaining the security of buildings by locking and unlocking areas; reports unusual or suspicious situations to public safety.
8. Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, ceiling tiles, window treatments, screens and performs other light maintenance.
9. Uses and maintains environmental services department equipment to assure good condition; makes basic repairs as needed.
10. Reports to supervisors regarding activities completed, supplies needed, and pending issues.
11. Provides on-campus moving services of University-owned furniture and equipment
- May exercise functional supervision over part-time, temporary, or summer employees.
- May transport and erect temporary signage
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to stand or walk, for prolonged periods of time.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Manual dexterity (ability to perform repetitive tasks requiring continuous use of hands and arms).
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to locate weaknesses in cleanliness, such as dirt and stains, in assigned area; ability to take corrective action.
- Ability to climb and work on elevated platforms, including ladders and scaffolds.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Knowledge and understanding of departmental, University, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment assigned to the department.
- Knowledge of the proper chemicals to use for each type of cleaning task.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of safety procedures prescribed by the institution and department used in building maintenance and custodial work.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A cover letter and resume can be attached but are not required.
Deadline: A review of application will begin June 21, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of 10 days and if need will remain open until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=111697
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency