NURSE PRACTITIONER FOR PRIMARY CARE (10 months)
The Nurse Practitioner plans and provides comprehensive medical and family planning services to students of Spelman College including assessment of medical and gynecological problems as well as treatment of all conditions found. Participates in Division and Department committees and research.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume ongoing responsibility for a patient from discovery of the disorder to recovery;
- Perform physical examinations, including ordering, interpreting and evaluating diagnostic tests and examinations;
- Diagnose and treat both chronic and episodic disorders;
- Establish and document the health care plan and prognosis, maintaining records of each case that are sufficiently complete for any provider and peer reviewing group to evaluate the effectiveness of the plan;
- Assist the Director of Student Health Services in planning and development of policies and procedures and special programs;
- Assist in follow-up procedure for students with abnormal PAP smears;
- Coordinate and assist Director of Student Health Services in development and implementation of research projects, peer review programs, and other staff development programs;
- Work collaboratively with physicians;
- Supervise staff of respective clinics in daily operations;
- Integrate health maintenance, disease prevention, physical diagnosis, and treatment of common episodic, and recurrent problems in primary women’s health care with equal emphasis on health teaching and management;
- Adhere to attendance guidelines as set forth by the College;
- Able to work in a team environment utilizing good interpersonal skills with co-workers and clients;
- Maintain continuing educational certification per Student Health Services standards;
- Check Pre-Entrance health booklets for all first-year students for completion of all medical requirements;
- Assure that medical consent is obtained before any treatment or procedure is administered to patients;
- Serve as co-advisor to various committees of SHAPE.
This position has supervisory responsibilities for one or more positions in the department. This does not include work study students.
Education and/or Experience:
Master's degree (MSN, MN, or MA) and a minimum of five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience are required. College health experience is highly preferred. Experience as a family nurse practitioner is a plus.
The Nurse Practitioner must demonstrate acquisition and successful application of the knowledge and ability required to perform duties of the position, as well as possess comprehensive knowledge of advanced health care principles, methods and procedures. The Nurse Practitioner must be able to work independently in primary care and women’s health area according to broad Guidelines and practices established by medically approved protocols. Must be able to conduct diagnostic examinations and to treat both chronic and episodic disorders, as well as have the ability to observe and record unique symptoms and behaviors. The nurse practitioner must be able to plan, organize and supervise the work of others, in addition to establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with others.
This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, medical reports, and legal documents. It also requires the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the Spelman community. This position requires strong customer service focus, excellent written, verbal and time management skills. Professional demeanor with the ability to interface with internal and external customers with diplomacy and tact is essential. Independent judgment is necessary to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload with attention to detail. Work requires fact-finding and compilation skills plus the ability to perform a variety of tasks simultaneously, at times with little supervision. The incumbent must have the ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. The incumbent must have the ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of trustees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate skills using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) which includes skills such as creating mail merges, flyers, spreadsheets with formulas, forms, and medical reports. Experience with Nue Md is also helpful.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Nurse Practitioner license from the state of Georgia. The Nurse Practitioner must be a graduate from a Master’s prepared family, adult or women’s health nurse practitioner educational program and possess appropriate certification from the approved certifying board.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE