Director of Admissions and student Services
Reports to: Dean of the Conservatory
Longy School of Music of Bard College seeks an enthusiastic, goal-oriented Director of Admissions and Student Services, to lead a team that cultivates a diverse prospective student population, resulting in increased enrollment at Longy’s two campuses. This full-time, exempt position reports to the Dean of the Conservatory and supervises the Assistant Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director of Admissions and Student Services (a position that is currently open) and student employees. It is an ideal position for a hands-on collaborator who enjoys working at all levels of the job and across departments. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a seasoned leader with a solid track-record who wants to play a key role during a transformative time in Longy’s growth.
• Manage all aspects of recruitment and admissions for Longy’s degree programs at two campuses in Cambridge, MA, and Los Angeles, CA
• Represent Longy to prospective students and their mentors at college fairs, conferences, events, and campuses nationally and internationally
• Develop a strong applicant pool of national and international students
• Create long and short-term planning and evaluation of recruitment, retention and completion strategies and programs
• Work effectively and directly with department chairs, program directors and faculty to develop and implement effective recruiting strategies to increase enrollment
• Organize auditions for, interview, evaluate, and correspond with prospective students
• Collaborate with the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications to coordinate recruitment efforts through various marketing channels
• Maintain enrollment and scholarship data, using Access and Get Acceptd databases
• Oversee Student Services (which includes student government, student activities, on-campus employment, career services, student health insurance and immunization records, and housing services)
• Plan and coordinate new student orientation with the other members of Academic Affairs staff, and traveling to appropriate recruiting events
• Create and monitor annual department budget
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum of five years of experience in collegiate or conservatory admissions
• Be fully conversant in the tools of effective admissions and recruitment, including marketing and promotion, information technology, financial aid and merit scholarship awarding
• Experience in student services and with international student regulations
• Possess the ability, skill, and desire to apply a progressive, non-traditional approach to admissions and recruiting, that is not driven by meeting enrollment ‘targets’ (e.g., the correct number to populate the orchestra) but by recruiting and drawing a cohort of students who are a right fit for our curriculum
• Individuals with advanced musical credentials or equivalent musical experience preferred
Outstanding oral and written communication skills, energy and dedication, enthusiasm for the value and importance of advanced musical study, superb organizational skills including a meticulous eye for detail, a creative and strategic mind-set, and have the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
Longy offers a competitive salary plus an Open Time Off Policy (OPTO) which includes a generous Family Medical Leave policy of 12 paid weeks. Longy also offers discounts on tuition at Longy, enrollment in Longy’s retirement plan, group health and dental plans, life and long‐term disability insurance, flexible spending account and qualified transportation programs.
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to Wayman Chin, Dean of the Conservatory by email [email protected] or regular mail to Longy School of Music of Bard College, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Longy School of Music of Bard College trains musicians to make a difference in their world with a social imperative that is at the core of the School’s curriculum. Breaking down the traditional conservatory constraints, Longy prepares its students to lead meaningful lives in music through project-based learning courses and performances alongside professional partners. Internationally recognized for its efforts to meet a changing musical landscape head-on, Longy gives its graduates the opportunity to perform professionally, teach in a variety of settings, and expand access within classical music.
Longy’s innovative curriculum compels students to explore their artistry, take risks, hone their technique, and become the musician the world needs them to be. Spearheaded by world-class faculty, Longy promotes profound musical understanding and technical mastery and inspires growth of imagination, fostering an attitude of inquiry about the musician's role in the world.
The Longy School of Music of Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or age. The Longy School of Music of Bard College values the diversity of its community.