Jul 11, 2019
Be an important part of Pratt Institute's growing dynamic and collaborative communications and marketing division. Help transform how the Institute engages with our community and shares our story of excellence in creative education with the world. Pratt Institute's Communications and Marketing division seeks a Staff Writer with proven experience in developing, writing, and editing compelling content to raise the visibility of Pratt Institute with key audiences. An important component of the role is its collaborative nature, as this person works closely with colleagues across the Communications and Marketing division who are responsible for social media, website, and media relations, as well as with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels and departments across the Institute on the academic and administration side.
The Staff Writer is responsible for developing engaging feature and news stories along with related content in order to showcase the Pratt Institute story, including the academic experience taking place in the studios and classrooms; student life; faculty achievements; civic engagement; initiatives related to social responsibility; and the contributions of outstanding alumni in their field. The position requires someone who understands the role played by editorial content within a broader, comprehensive communications plan and the broader landscape of digital communications platforms (social media, email, etc.), and who has the ability to provide input on marketing.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Content Development, the position requires someone who is organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and a team player. The ideal candidate is a seasoned writer who knows how to identify and tell compelling stories that will maximize audience reach and engagement across platforms.
Experience within higher education/culture non-profit is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Identify, research, develop, and produce compelling written content (feature articles, news stories, Q&As, etc.) that tells the Pratt story, raising awareness of the Institute and maximizing engagement with key audiences from faculty, students, staff, and alumni to the local community and the general public.
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing team colleagues to brainstorm, cultivate, and share story leads and strategies for external promotion.
- Engage with the administration, academic schools, and colleagues within Communications and Marketing for story mining and development and to identify relevant topics for content that will resonate with key audiences in line with communications needs, objectives, and goals.
- Keep up to date with trends in digital communication, journalism/storytelling, and higher education.
- Route stories to stakeholders for review; edit, revise, and copy edit content as needed.
- Ensure all content is consistent with in-house editorial style and brand guidelines.
- Uphold Pratt's commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in communications and marketing efforts.
- Perform other duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background writing about a range of topics for a variety of audiences; demonstrate superior copyediting and proofreading skills; and have sound knowledge of digital communications best practices with strategies and have experience writing for web, SEO, mobile-first environment/approach. The candidate must also have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills that facilitate collaboration with colleagues at all levels and with internal and external partners and organizations.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism or related field (equivalent professional experience will be considered)
- 4-5 years of full-time experience as a content writer, including long-form articles
- Superior grasp of English grammar/spelling; excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
- Ability to work with a wide range of subject matter and distill complex information or technical material for a general audience
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills, showing initiative, flexibility, and collaborative instincts
- Desire and willingness to acquire a comprehensive knowledge of an institution, its key stakeholders, audiences and partners, to frame and advance the dynamic work and story of the community served
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in busy office environment
- Ability to handle situations with diplomacy and a professional demeanor at all times
- Basic knowledge and understanding of fine art, design, and/or architecture fields preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word (Microsoft Office) required. Experience with Apple OS, basic knowledge of Photoshop, and CMS experience helpful.
About Pratt Institute
Founded in 1887, Pratt Institute is a global leader in higher education dedicated to preparing its 4,600 undergraduate and graduate students for successful careers in art, design, architecture, information studies, and liberal arts and sciences. Located in the cultural hub of New York City with historic campuses in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Pratt is a living lab of craft and creativity with esteemed professors and scholars who challenge their talented students to transform their passion into meaningful expression.
A completed application, cover letter, and resume, submitted through the Pratt Institute Interfolio website is required. Candidates selected for the interview process will be asked to provide five references via our on-line reference tool system, at least two of which must be references who have directly supervised the applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.