Administrative Assistant I / Facilities and Operations
Administrative Assistant I / Facilities and Operations
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Administrative Assistant I / Facilities and Operations
State Job Title: Administrative Assistant I
Department: Facilities and Operations
Job Code: H15X01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 weeks
Shift: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Receives general supervision from the Executive Director, Facilities and Capital Planning may receive specific assignments from departmental administrators and Administrative Assistant II.
May supervise student workers.
Salary: $1,707.31 Bi-weekly
General Statement of Duties:
Records and maintains attendance records for Facilities and Operations Department; updates employee database for generation of essential letters and other employee documentation. Maintains University fleet management database; registers all University owned vehicles through Vehicle Management (Boston) to obtain state plates or transfers; processes all surplus paperwork for worthless vehicles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Records and maintains attendance records for all employees within the Department of Facilities and Operations, including calculating meal allowances and monitors meal allowance account funding for each department within Facilities; receives, processes and reports all payroll charge-back charges; maintains employee payroll files; processes hiring packets for student workers. Processes annual "essential" designation letter to employees; provides assistance to department supervisors with payroll related issues, i.e., new hires, shift changes, terminations and seasonal workers as needed.
- Responsible for copying invoices, filing processed invoices and maintaining vendor files for Facilities & Operations.
- Completes requests for new or replacement uniforms for approximately 100 employees; assists employees with selection and distributes clothing in a timely fashion; processes reimbursements for safety shoes. Recommends additional spending or cuts based on employee usage and departmental needs.
- Maintains Microsoft Access database and hard copy file for active registration, inspection stickers for University owned vehicles; submits documents to Vehicle Management (Boston) to obtain new state plates and title transfers: processes all paperwork for University surplus (worthless) vehicles, coordinating removal to Westborough surplus yard; produces a variety of reports.
- Maintains current Microsoft Access databases for Facilities and Operations staff and uses Microsoft Word and Excel to create reports and mail merges from databases.
- Processes all utility/fuel RO's, ATP's; conducts a monthly reconciliation of the usage logs and gas card charges; enters student damages in School Dude work order database and tracks charges for budgeting purposes.
- Performs a variety of support duties, including maintaining adequate levels of disposable supplies, retrieves and delivers departmental mail, places service calls for office equipment, orders paper, responds to telephone calls and radio transmissions. Enters facilitates room reservation requests in the EMS system for construction and facilities meetings.
- Acts as departmental receptionist and answers telephones and assists callers with information and referrals to other department employees; provides support to departmental administrators as needed.
- Enters all student damage into School Dude. Provides reports tracking damages/costs on a monthly basis,
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Excellent record keeping skills with significant attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal with a variety of constituents in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly, and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to support the needs of the department while performing a variety of tasks and responsibilities in a fast paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
- Knowledge of standard office terminology and record keeping.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to compose correspondence and compile information for reports.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Thorough understanding of departmental, University and state policies, procedures, rules and regulations pertaining to the department's functions; thorough understanding of University policies and procedures relating to attendance.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Two years of full-time, or equivalent pat-time experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, or any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions listed in the state job specifications.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin July 11, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=112860
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency