Research Associate and Data Analyst
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Research Associate and Data Analyst
Posting Number: S01312
Full-time/Part-time: Part-time (28 hours per week)
Benefits Eligible?: No
Hiring Minimum: $17.82
Department: Center for the Blue Economy (CBE)
Location: MIIS at Monterey Main Campus
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening: Criminal Background check
A Research and Data Analyst is required for the Center for Blue Economy's (CBE) project entitled: Measuring the Economic Impact of Southern Sea Otters in Elkhorn Slough. This project is funded by a grant from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The objective of this project is to assess the changes in the economic values generated by sea otter-related tourism and recreation in the Elkhorn Slough, including how the quantity and accessibility of interactions with otters affects economic value. Economic value will be defined to include both the value to visitors and to the business and area economy from sea otter-related tourism. The information developed will assist the Aquarium to understand the economic consequences of its current and past efforts at sustaining sea otter populations and the economic values that may be associated with future sea otter recovery efforts.
The Research and Data Analyst will assist with the following: The Center for the Blue Economy (CBE) of the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey will conduct a survey of visitors to Elkhorn Slough during 2019. The survey will be primarily conducted as an intercept survey at locations in the Moss Landing-Elkhorn Slough area using onsite interviewers. Respondents will also be given the option of providing an email address so that they may fill out the survey online at a later date. The survey will collect information on visitor characteristics, spending in the region, and the contribution of sea otters to the value of the experience at Elkhorn Slough. The target for the survey will be sufficient responses to interpret the data within ?3% of the population 95% of the time.
In addition, the CBE will conduct a survey of businesses offering guiding and other services to visitors to Elkhorn Slough to develop estimates of their annual average and peak period employment, the compensation paid, and gross revenues. CBE will report these "direct" impacts in a way that preserves confidentiality of data. Finally, CBE will conduct an impact analysis using the IMPLAN modeling system to determine the total levels of economic activity affected by sea otter-related tourism in Monterey and neighboring counties.
Under the direction of the CBE Director of Research, and direct supervision of CBE full-time staff Research Associate, the Research and Data Analyst will:
• Conduct surveys on site
• Locate relevant data sources for specific non-market economic activities
• Query government agencies and non-government organizations in search of information
• Compile relevant economic, demographic, and methodological data
• Analyze the data using statistical methods to determine their fit within standardized indices
• Compile lists of resources and links for project related topics
• Assist in the development of online content and website downloads
• Comply with established protocols and documentation requirements
• Attend weekly meetings with staff
MA in International Environmental Policy Studies or related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The position requirements are:
• Excellent Research skills
• Inquisitiveness and persistence in search of information and data
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Ability to perform exhaustive internet searches
• Ability to organize data into spreadsheets or databases
• Advanced data analysis skills
• Ability to produce detailed documentation and accurate data
• Familiarity with data management software and data management
• Familiarity with economic tools such as IMPLAN
• Strong statistical analysis background
A combination of education (MA in International Environmental Policy Studies or related field preferred) and experience (at least six months to one year research experience, in combination with six months to one year experience working with an environmental organization) which would demonstrate possession of skills required for this position.
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free workplace and complies with the Federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Essential job functions require ability to sit for extended periods of time, walk, bend, climb, push/pull, lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally. Also requires fine dexterity and ability to grasp, i.e. for writing and word processing/data entry.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply - submit an online application and attach all required documents.
• Applicant Document
• Required Documents
• Resume/C V
To apply, visit: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/19540
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency