Production Manager, Williams Center for the Arts
Lafayette College seeks a full-time, 12-month with benefits position of Production Manager in the Williams Center for the Arts. Lafayette College is a premier undergraduate liberal arts college located in Easton, Pennsylvania, 1.5 hours from New York City and Philadelphia. Lafayette Arts has multiple venues across campus, with this position operating primarily in the Williams Center for the Arts. The Williams Center hosts the dynamic and cutting-edge multi-disciplinary Performance Series as well as the Music Department concerts in its 400-seat proscenium theater and concert hall. The Center also hosts Gallery multimedia exhibitions, Art Department events, Campus Life student performances and occasional Theater productions totaling approximately 60 events during the academic year.
As part of Lafayette’s academic division, the Production Manager reports to the Director of the Arts and will work closely with the Artistic and Executive Director of the Performance Series. The Production Manager will provide technical event management for internal and external stakeholders as well as provide input to organizational strategic planning for the Williams Center maintenance, repair, and renovation.This is a Full-Time position with Benefits.
- Provide technical supervision and support of the Williams Center, including stage, lighting, and multimedia video setup in both the theater and nontraditional spaces.
- Review, assess feasibility, negotiate, estimate and bid vendors to fulfill technical rider requirements for national and international touring productions as part of the Williams Center Performance Series and serve as point of contact for all production-related needs to advance the shows.
- Provide lighting design and technical support for the academic departments and Galleries as well as advise Campus Life student groups that perform at the Williams Center.
- Assess the necessary technical requirements, hire necessary technical support, and create production and event schedules for distribution.
- Supervise load-in, load-out, sound checks, rehearsals, and public performances.
- As needed, act as stage manager, master electrician, lighting designer, lightning supervisor or light board operator.
- Recruit, select, train, and supervise all technical production staff, including student employees, interns, overhire stage crew, and contractors.
- Maintain the Williams Center mainstage theater including house lights, theatrical lighting, soft goods and staging.
- Develop, manage and enforce safety policies, procedures and inspections for the theater, backstage area and scene shop by adhering to College, OSHA, and industry best-practices.
- Budget and purchase materials and labor for production, maintenance, and safety.
- Maintain, inventory, setup, and store equipment, supplies, and stage-related systems.
- Provide a hospitable environment for guest artists. Foster a culture of service, respect, and support for artists.
- Work irregular and extended hours (including nights and weekends) as required to support the successful management of events.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Stage lighting and video projection experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership, supervisory and budget management skills required.
- Experience as a full-time production manager or technical director of a performing arts venue that regularly presents national and international touring performances preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and technical experience presenting and producing multi-disciplinary performing arts genres including, but not limited to chamber music, jazz, world music/dance/theater, modern and classical dance, theater, multimedia events, and family productions desired.
- Ability to address a wide range of technical and production issues with creative problem-solving abilities.
- Familiarity with current software in the field such as ETC Eos/Ion family, Lightwright, Qlab, Vectorworks, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Creativity and adaptability in working with multiple stakeholders on continuously evolving events and presentations.
- Experience and interest in working as part of a close-knit team with a focus on continuous improvement and a willingness to contribute to team-based solutions.
- Confidence in existing knowledge and willingness to learn more.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to see, hear, listen, speak, and use a telephone, computer, and mouse.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, crawl, bend, stoop, climb ladders and stairs, and reach in front and overhead.
- Ability to work from ladders, scaffolding, and catwalk heights of 60 feet.
- Ability to lift, manipulate, push, or pull objects up to 50 pounds including, but not limited to fly system components, sound shell and piano.
- Using appropriate tools or equipment, ability to lift, manipulate, push, or pull objects 50-100 pounds.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Lafayette College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, age, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law in its educational programs and activities, admissions, or employment as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of sex); the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of disability); Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national origin); and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin); and other applicable laws and College policies.