Adjunct Faculty - Animation & Visual Effects
Tarzana-based Columbia College Hollywood has openings in multiple areas for qualified adjunct instructors for the BFA in Visual Effects program. Course offerings vary from quarter to quarter. We are looking for enthusiastic, student-centered, collaborative, and dynamic instructors to add to our adjunct pool. Skills and software proficiencies in one or more of the following are desired: Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter, Cinema 4D, Adobe Suite, Houdini, Toon Boom Harmony, Renderman, Unity, Unreal Engine, Nuke, Motion Capture, and Motion Builder
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare syllabus and lesson plans relevant to the prescribed learning outcomes
- Teach to predesigned lesson plans (when assigned) for courses that require alignment across multiple sections
- Manage course on Canvas by posting syllabi, course materials, gradebook, and attendance in timely manner
- Employ a logical point system and use of rubrics for grading assignments
- Teach the course in a professional manner
- Adhere to the syllabus and terms of the faculty engagement letter
- Maintain appropriate records for all courses taught
- Conduct a 4 hour course every week, begin class on time and remain engaged throughout the class period
- Complete an annual faculty development plan
- Order official transcripts for the school files
- Attend meetings and training sessions as requested by manager
- Participation on faculty committees upon invitation
- Establish a learning-centered classroom conducive to collaborative learning and student involvement
- Participate in retention initiatives relevant to the classroom
- Collaborate and share materials with faculty to build connections throughout curriculum
- Master’s degree (or higher) in the area of teaching
- Industry experience in the area of teaching
- Experience teaching in higher education
- Experience with learning management systems (Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, etc.)
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
Preferred additional documents (the following are required prior to interview if not included in initial application):
- Digital copy of master’s degree transcript from degree granting institution
- Please reference the CCH Catalog and include a list of courses you are qualified and able to teach in your cover letter or as an addendum. The school catalog is available at: https://www.columbiacollege.edu/admissions/getting-started/general-catalog
- Sample syllabus
Please send a zip file attachment with all files, including cover letter, in a single email. Please make sure all files names include your first and last name in the title (for example: Last name, First name_name of document.pdf). Please email your file to [email protected] with “Adjunct Instructor Application – [your last name]” in the subject line.
Courses are held from 9AM – 1PM, 2PM – 6PM, 7PM – 11PM on weekdays. The courses are 11 weeks in duration with one class meeting per week. The college offers four quarters of instruction per year.
The teaching rate for all new faculty is $50.00 per hour.
Columbia College Hollywood is a non-profit, regionally accredited, four-year liberal arts college offering degrees in creative media. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, and a 401(k) plan. Qualified applicants for employment with criminal histories are considered in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
To learn more about Columbia College Hollywood, please visit our website at http://www.columbiacollege.edu
Please do not call, email, or visit the campus to inquire about this position. All applications must be submitted through [email protected]. Applicants that do not fit the requirements of the position listed above will not be considered. At present, there are no openings for instructors who do not possess a master’s degree or higher.