Associate Vice Chancellor of Brand Strategy
Recruitment/Posting Title Associate Vice Chancellor of Brand Strategy Job Category Staff & Executive - Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations/Communications Department R-Comm Overview
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root over 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Associate Vice Chancellor of Brand Strategy for the New Brunswick Campus. This position reports to the Vice Chancellor of Communication and Marketing for Rutgers – New Brunswick and Rutgers Biological and Health Sciences (RBHS) areas. The Associate Vice Chancellor of Brand Strategy is responsible for the overall development and management of the brand image of Rutgers’ flagship campus, as well as its burgeoning academic health system. The AVC of Brand Strategy applies their skills to develop, implement and maintain a strategic marketing and communications program that begins with developing a brand platform within both the higher education and health care spaces to elevate the perception, reputation and brand sentiment of the institution to aid in attracting students, faculty, staff, donors and patients.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Manages associated marketing and communications functions within the organization, including research initiatives, marketing strategy, advertising, design and content generation, internal communications, executive communications, digital initiatives, community outreach and special events.
• Responsible for strategic and annual planning, developing and monitoring metrics regarding internal and external marketing and communications, management of external agencies and partners, and community activities in support of the university’s mission, vision and strategic goals.
• Accountable for developing and maintaining relationships with key internal and external constituencies, and requires the ability to work closely with multidisciplinary teams across campus and the health system.
• Maintains current on new trends and best practices within marketing and communications, as well as higher education and health care, and is expected to continually challenge the internal R-Comm team to enhance their skills and cultivate their career development.
Position Status - Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
FLSA - Exempt
Grade - 10 Position Salary
Annual Minimum Salary - 114339.000
Annual Mid Range Salary - 144722.000
Annual Maximum Salary - 175105.000
Standard Hours - 37.50
Union Description - Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation - PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment - Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility - ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, advertising, communications, or related field.
• A minimum of 7 years work experience in both higher education and academic health care
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of both Academic Health and Higher Education required.
• Must have a passion for and proven experience in both higher education and academic health care, understanding the nature and substance of large, complex research universities
• Ability to translate this knowledge into a vision for how an institution can position itself and enhance its reputation among numerous and diverse constituents.
• Thorough understanding of industry trends and proven leadership to foster teamwork and maximize the talents of the department.
• Proven ability to develop a brand platform and execute with quantifiable results
• Professional experience and familiarity with internal communications, web and social media strategy, earned media, events and community affairs in leveraging and strengthening the overall organizational brand.
• Stellar communication, presentation, problem-solving and project-management skills and ability to work well with all types of people at all levels of the institution.
• Ability to inspire outstanding creativity while juggling various complex projects.
• Must present portfolio of latest work with an emphasis on showcasing successful integrated marketing campaigns and efforts.
Preferred Qualifications Equipment Utilized
• Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business demands; a valid driver’s license would be required for this position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Will be on-call as needed, including early morning hours, evening, weekends and holidays.
• Work will take place in a fast-paced, dynamic, decentralized environment, often involving close collaboration with senior leadership for both New Brunswick and the academic health enterprise.
• Clean Driving Record
Posting Number - 19ST3032
Posting Open Date - 06/20/2019
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should submit: resume, cover letter, list of references, portfolio, portfolio URL/website of brand strategy campaigns.
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick Home Location Campus Busch (RU-New Brunswick) Location Details
Piscataway, NJ, 08854
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is university policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. As an institution, we value diversity of background and opinion, and prohibit discrimination or harassment on the basis of any legally protected class in the areas of hiring, recruitment, promotion, transfer, demotion, training, compensation, pay, fringe benefits, layoff, termination or any other terms and conditions of employment. For additional information please see the Non-Discrimination Statement at the following web address: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/non-discrimination-statement
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Portfolio URL