Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology and Sociology
Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology and Sociology - California Northstate University College of Health Sciences (CHS), Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology and Sociology
Job Classification: Full-time, 12 Month, Exempt
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt
Anticipated Start Date: August 1st, 2019 or January 2nd, 2020
Supervisor: Faculty in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences report directly to the department chair, Dr. William Davis.
California Northstate University College of Health Sciences is a community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to the mission of transforming education in the health sciences. We are a team-oriented group interested in supporting a student centered and innovative educational environment and seek individuals interested in excelling at their own immediate responsibilities and contributing to the College and University as a whole.
California Northstate University (CNU) is a private university with the main campus located in Elk Grove, California, approximately 15 miles south of Sacramento. CNU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Elk Grove facility currently houses the College of Pharmacy, College of Medicine and College of Psychology.
The California Northstate University College of Health Sciences (CNUCHS) campus is located at 2910 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. We offer a traditional Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree in addition to accelerated undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs. The CNUCHS curriculum is designed to provide excellent academic preparation for careers in the biomedical professions.
Courses/Projects of Primary Teaching Responsibility:
- General Psychology; Social Psychology; Abnormal Psychology; Psychology for the Health Professions; Developmental Psychology
- Introductory Sociology; Sociology for Health Practitioners
- Elective(s) in Psychology
- Other courses developed within the Psychology and Sociology areas
- Contributes to Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences
Please note: the candidate must be familiar with face-to-face, hybrid, and online course formats
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan courses and prepare syllabi for approval by the Curriculum Committee
- Maintain good working relationships with the Deans, Department Head, administrative staff, and colleagues in the College of Health Sciences
- Make effective use of appropriate technology, learning software, and the learning management system in course delivery
- Develop an effective teaching style informed by best practices in education literature
- Perform data collection to monitor program and general education learning outcomes—as needed to fulfill assessment requirements—and to track student success
- Communicate effectively with students regarding course content, assignments, and exams
- Keep regular office hours for students; provide tutoring assistance as needed; and, perform student academic advising duties
- Keep active in academic field of specialization through professional development, scholarly research, publishing, and professional activities
- Serve on college and university committees and engage in university and community service including development of outreach activities
- Mentor and supervise undergraduate students in scholarly research projects
- Participate in college and university programs to recruit and retain students
- Participate in open houses and other college events
Minimum Qualifications:Applicant should hold a doctorate degree in Psychology or Sociology, with college teaching experience preferred. Online teaching experience is a plus. ABD PhD candidates or a Master’s degree will be considered. A demonstrated ability to develop innovative teaching strategies and experience working with diverse groups are also preferred.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter that addresses qualifications, experience, and career goals
- Curriculum vitae
- Transcripts of all college work (unofficial copies accepted for application review; official copies are required at time of hire)
- Statement of teaching and scholarly interests
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) references who can be contacted by the Search Committee and who can speak to a broad range of candidate’s professional qualifications
Please send application materials to the HR Department' email address, or mail to: California Northstate University, 9700 West Taron Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
For department specific inquiries, please contact us by Fariya Khan at telephone: (916) 686-7674.
Please note that although the main campus for California Northstate University is located in Elk Grove, CA, this position is located at our College of Health Sciences campus, in Rancho Cordova, CA.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Women, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Assistant/Associate Professor of Psychology and Sociology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly