Admissions Counselor – Emphasis on Recruiting and Retaining Multi-Cultural Students (R-01798)
Position Description: Fort Hays State University is seeking applications for an Admissions Counselor opening. Admissions Counselors are based out of Hays, KS and are responsible for a specific recruitment territory to support the University’s enrollment goals for on-campus, undergraduate students. These individuals will manage travel schedules, implement recruitment strategies and build relationships with high school personnel, prospective students and other constituents using various forms of communication. Extensive overnight travel and some evening and weekend work is required.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and valid driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications: Bilingual in Spanish/English. Knowledge of FHSU’s academic programs and support services, ability to organize time and task, goal oriented, excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, ability to relate to diverse student populations and their family members, and a high level of enthusiasm and creativity.
Appointment Date: August 12, 2019
Application Deadline: Priority deadline is July 22, 2019. Review of applications will begin after the deadline and continue until the position is filled.
Salary: Salary is $33,000 with a bachelor’s degree and $36,000 with a master’s degree.
Benefits: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
The Admissions Counselor-Emphasis on Recruiting and Retaining Multi-Cultural Students will assist in the development and implementation of an effective student recruitment and retention program for all students with emphasis on recruiting minority and first generation students. The candidate will also assist/sponsor several university cultural clubs and organizations.
Admissions Recruitment and Retention Responsibilities:
- Assist in the development and documentation of the Fort Hays State University Recruitment Plan.
- Cultivate interest in FHSU. Visit targeted high schools and community colleges, attend college fairs, foster relationships with church groups and community leaders to build positive rapport and create connections with groups and organizations such as Gear Up, Kansas Kids, Heritage Panel, AVID, JAG-K, TRIO, etc.
- Provide individualized assistance to prospective students and their family members throughout the recruitment process.
- Be knowledgeable about all aspects of the admissions process for new students, including admissions policies and procedures, financial aid, costs, placement exams, registrations procedures, student housing etc.
- Develop and chair the Access to Academic Opportunity Grant committee and program.
- Supervise the Diversity Mentorship Student Ambassadors.
- Be creative in the implementation of new programs and marketing tools to focus on first generation college students and their families.
- Assist with several cultural clubs and organizations on campus.
- Participate as a committee member/recruitment chair of the Hispanic College Institute.
- Work closely with the Director Transition, Inclusion and Diversity.
- Extensive overnight travel and some evening and weekend work is required.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
About Fort Hays State University:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,500 (including 4,500+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 4,000 students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 7,000). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
About Hays, Kansas:
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.