American Association of University Professors
Senior Researcher—Washington, DC Office
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a senior researcher position to be filled as soon as possible. The senior researcher is primarily responsible for the Faculty Compensation Survey (FCS), a national data collection project with approximately 1000 institutions participating annually covering more than 425,000 full-time faculty. The senior researcher will oversee the entire AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey, including collecting, validating, and analyzing data. This individual will play a vital role in shaping and expanding our salary survey, as well as compiling and analyzing data on such important topics as contingency in the profession, gender equity, staff demographics in higher education, and compensation of presidents and administrators. The senior researcher will be located in the AAUP’s national office in Washington, DC and will work under the direction of AAUP’s national Director of External Relations. This position involves working with diverse individuals both inside and outside of the AAUP office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The senior researcher is our chief research staff member. This staff member plays a key role in our Faculty Compensation Survey (FCS) as well as other research projects. The position will include the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Responsibility for the Faculty Compensation Survey process: collecting, validating, and analyzing FCS data from institutions.
2. Collaborate with an outside software developer, maintain and update custom software interface for submitting, checking, and validating FCS data.
3. Communicating with survey respondents regarding instructions and processes for submitting data and assisting respondents in making corrections.
4. Analyze FCS data for “Annual Report on the Economic Status of the Profession”; produce standard and custom charts and tables.
5. Write the “Annual Report on the Economic Status of the Profession” in collaboration with a member report editor/author.
6. Assist in public release of report and respond to inquiries from media representatives.
7. Produce additional custom reports for chapters using FCS data as needed.
8. Provide training and support to AAUP chapters.
9. Support data collection and analysis on occasional surveys sponsored or commissioned by the Association.
10. Represent the AAUP before other faculty organizations, college and university bodies, unions and professional associations.
11. Other duties as assigned.
The senior researcher should have significant experience with data collection, preferably in a research environment. Other requirements for the position include:
• Master’s degree in social sciences, economics, higher education, or another relevant field required; A PhD in a field providing significant training in quantitative methods preferred.
• Minimum three years’ experience managing a large data consortium or research study required. Five to seven years’ experience preferred.
• Ability to use advanced statistical applications to produce analyses of higher education data from a variety of sources required. Experience in data analysis and report generation using advanced statistical applications such as SAS, Stata, SPSS, or R required. Familiarity with relational database software and programming with advanced statistical applications preferred.
• Excellent communication ability, both written and oral, is required.
• Prior work experience in a higher education setting preferred.
• Familiarity with US Department of Education postsecondary databases, particularly IPEDS preferred.
• Experience with labor unions preferred.
• Ability to travel nationally on occasion and to work long, irregular hours and weekends, as required.
Salary range: Starting salary of $87,500 for minimum qualifications; higher salary for preferred qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package, including health insurance and 401(K).
The Senior Researcher position is categorized as a senior program officer position. This position is designated as a senior program officer in the Department of External Relations and is based in DC with the potential for some telework. This position is part of the staff union bargaining unit. This is an exempt position and not eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter to [email protected] Please include “Senior Researcher – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of the email. You may also mail your resume and cover letter to AAUP, Attention: Senior Researcher Search, 1133 19th Street, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Senior Researcher
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly