Associate Director of Advancement - School of Social Work (116525)
Associate Director of Advancement
School of Social Work
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The School of Social Work and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement invites applications and nominations for a full-time Associate Director of Advancement to secure private support for funding priorities from alumni and friends. The School of Social Work embraces the University’s mission of enhancing the lives of citizens in Illinois, across the nation and around the world through leadership in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development in order to prepare tomorrow’s leaders to be advocates for, and agents of, social change.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
On October 13, 2017, the University publicly launched its fourth comprehensive campaign. “With Illinois” is the most ambitious philanthropic initiative in its history. The goal is to raise $2.25 billion in support of Illinois students, faculty, research, and infrastructure; and to continue to elevate the values that make Illinois distinctive: a sense of boundless aspiration, collaborative research, and global perspective.
The Associate Director of Advancement has a dual report to the Dean of the School of Social Work and to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences and Research Initiatives for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, working closely with faculty and other members of the administrative team in the School of Social Work to carry out the Advancement priorities. The Associate Director of Advancement develops strategies and implements programs that will lead to and result in the successful philanthropic support of the academic priorities of the School of Social Work and the philanthropic interest of donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, assess, analyze, and design appropriate strategies for approaching prospects and donors and making the vitally important match between donors’ philanthropic interests and the School of Social Work’s programmatic and curricular needs.
- Work closely with senior administrators, faculty and staff to gain a strong knowledge of the academic and research programs in order to identify and define priorities to be funded through private support.
- Plan and implement effective outreach and cultivation activities to enhance prospect identification and move solicitation and stewardship processes forward. Prepare faculty and other volunteers to participate in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts as needed.
- Determine and prioritize lists of donor prospects, alumni and other stakeholders to be contacted for personal visits.
- Strategize and implement a segmented qualification program for leadership annual giving and major gifts.
- Manage the development and execution of alumni outreach activities.
- Work with the Director of Research and Business Office staff to assist as needed in preparation and submission of grant proposals to private foundation and corporate sources; maintain relationships with campus foundation and corporate relations staff to facilitate the development of faculty and staff proposals.
- Supervise the Program Coordinator.
- Participate in the School of Social Work committees that relate directly to Advancement and/or the Stewardship of major gifts. Represent the School of Social Work at appropriate campus meetings.
- Maintain a travel schedule of 30-50% time including some evenings and weekends. Use independent judgment to determine appropriate use of resources for travel to priority destinations nationally to meet with alumni, friends, corporations and foundation for the purpose of building relationships leading to financial support of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years of successful advancement experience or at least six years of related work experience (such as sales, marketing, communications, financial planning, etc.)
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to represent the School of Social Work in one-on-one visits with key constituents
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of major donor prospect qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills
- Master’s Degree
- Demonstrated knowledge of the School of Social Work and passion for supporting the field of social work
- Documented success as a major gift fundraiser in higher education
- Knowledge of higher education administration
- Knowledge of advancement strategies including best practices related to development at institutions of higher education
- Advancement experience in an academic unit that produces degrees and conducts academic research
- Experience managing alumni and/or student programs and devising innovative programs to engage alumni and/or donors to support academic priorities
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by August 2, 2019. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Katie Walker at [email protected]. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The Illinois Advancement Community is committed to an ongoing, proactive process to foster and achieve diversity and inclusion in its development, alumni relations and communications activities. We will respect and encourage different voices, perspectives and ideas as we strive to represent individuals of all backgrounds and cultures which include but are not limited to the following: nationality, ethnicity, race, gender, sexuality, spirituality, age and ability who represent our alumni, donors and friends of the University of Illinois.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Office of the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement Category:2-Administrative Title:Associate Director of Advancement - School of Social Work (116525) Open Date:07/05/2019 Organization Name:Ofc VC Inst Advancement