Systems Database Engineer
Systems Database Engineer
Job no: 501659
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Enterprise Systems & Develop
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Administrative Infrastructure Database Manager, the Systems Database Engineer will be responsible for the reliable and secure operation of the SPIRE and PeopleSoft hardware and software, Oracle database, and related software components underlying the SPIRE and PeopleSoft Student Information System and other administrative information systems.
Design, develop, and implement data solutions to include the following: architecture design, prototyping of concepts to proof of concept, development of standards, design and development of test plans, code and module design, development and testing, and data solution debugging.
Lead in the planning, implementation, and management of Windows and Linux operating systems, network platforms, VMWare virtualization, Windows OS, and Mac OS X; various technologies and tools as necessary and internet related protocols.
- Leads in group reviews for new and existing technical data architecture and design, implementation, configuration, testing plans, and documentation.
- Establishes administrative and technical design standards for application developers and technical support staff to ensure the performance, reliability, audibility, and maintainability of the SPIRE and PeopleSoft environment. This includes detailed coding style guides, naming specifications, and technical documentation standards. Coordinates periodic reviews to verify compliance with standards.
- Provides support to various campus business and technology teams as necessary during design, development, and delivery to ensure solid, scalable, robust solutions.
- Manages day-to-day tasks/activities in coordination with a team of Database Administrators and developers to effectively meet the deliverables and schedule of a data solution component within a larger application project.
- Creates and maintains regression testing plan and associated test programs, scripts, and data which covers both vendor supplied and locally developed software.
- Develops and maintain scripts to automate IT tasks and procedures.
- Leads in technical reviews to ensure that application design decisions meet the long-term objectives of the PeopleSoft technical architecture.
- Develops back-up and recovery plan; monitors compliance.
- Serves as primary technical contact with software vendors for system upgrades, fixes, and problem resolution.
- Perform root cause analysis to quickly recover from service interruptions and to prevent recurring problems.
- Monitor, manage, and tune platforms to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Facilitate operating system software installations, updates and upgrades. Troubleshoot system-related problems and issues and work with vendors to resolve technical issues.
- Analyze and resolve network and software communication problems using diagnostic software and technical troubleshooting processes.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience, or an associate degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- 2+ years of VMWare Systems Administrator experience supporting a three tiered IT Infrastructure (web, application, and database)
- Experience and knowledge of Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in team environments.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field with 4 or more years of experience
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP preferred).
- Experience using packet analyzer such as Wireshark, tcpdump, etc.
- Experience using DevOps tools such as Ansible, Jenkins,GitLab, Vagrant, etc.
- 37.5 hrs per week, Monday - Friday
- Participates in off-hours on-call rotation for urgent problem resolution.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please apply online and submit a cover letter, resume and at least three professional references by July 19th, 2019 for priority consideration; however, applications may be accepted until the positions are filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 5 2019 Eastern Daylight Time