Post Award Accounting Technician
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitleAccounting TechnicianBand LevelAdvancedWorking TitlePost Award Accounting TechnicianSalary Range$31,200 - $59,049Anticipated Hiring Range$45,000 - $50,000 (Commensurate with education/experience)Salary Grade Equivalency67Position Number00103865Work ScheduleMonday - Friday; 8:00 am-5:00 pm, some overtime may be requiredDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department141901 - Computer Science-engrDepartmentComputer Science-engrJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Computer Science is an academic teaching and research department in the College of Engineering. It is a large and complex unit that encompasses research intensive, teaching intensive and professional activities. It is one of the largest such departments in the nation by the number of faculty and students, and its total budget and size are comparable to some NC State University colleges and divisions.Essential Job Duties
This Post Award Accounting Technician reports directly to and works closely with the Contract and Grants Manager of the department.
The primary purpose of this position is post-award accounting and management. This position is responsible for Financial Management of research projects and will work closely with faculty to assist them with this process.
Essential functions of this position will be to ensure compliance with Cost Accounting Standards and Sponsor terms and conditions; Summer Salary; Cost Sharing Management; TEARS Effort Reporting System.
This Post Award Accounting Technician reviews and initiates expenses on research accounts. Position initiates new award reviews, budget revisions, subcontract amendments, extension requests, cost sharing reports, and prepares closeouts on contract and grant projects. This position must work with faculty to insure that funds are available to support personnel to be appointed to projects.
This position communicates Faculty and other Staff on Post Award Administration on a daily basis. Position must be able to change communication styles depending on the characteristics and needs of the client. Position communicates information to internal and external clients of the University. Communication must be clear and concise both orally and in writing. Employee must have excellent listening skills and be able to respond appropriately to others. Position also communicates with offices both internal and external to the University.
This Post Award Accounting Technician must be able to identify and recognize any problems that will impact the Department, College, and/or University. This requires excellent judgment skills. Position is required to research problems and discuss resolutions with the Director of Research Administration. This includes past-due invoices, whether an expense is allowed and how it should be allocated, conflict resolutions with internal and external clients with our faculty/staff, and adherence to University standard agreements.
Successful applicants will have:
- Strong knowledge of accounting practices and knowledge and experience in budgeting.
- An understanding of budget development and RFPs.
- A solid understanding of the internal business systems (PMR, PeopleSoft HR and Financials.)
- Experience in managing contracts and grants subject to Uniform Guidance.
Position attends meetings and prepares reports as requested by supervisor. This position also assists with departmental activities, such as graduation.
Will serve as back up to other Contracts and Grants positions within the Computer Science Department.Minimum Experience/Education
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year of experience in accounting work; or equivalent combination of training and experience.Departmental Required Skills
- Proficient with MS Excel and MS Word.
- Must have excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task in a busy, fast-paced office with frequent deadlines and interruptions.
- Must be knowledgeable and have experience in accounting principles and cost accounting standards.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with individuals of diverse backgrounds and responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain and manage accounting records of moderate variety and complexity, including preparation of financial reports.
• PeopleSoft Human Resources and Financials experience or similar system.
• Experience in PINS, RADAR, NSF Fastlane, grants.gov, and WRS Systems.
• Previous work experience or training in the field of accounting.
• Experience in interpreting and analyzing contract and grant requirements.
N/ASpecial InstructionsJob Open Date07/03/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)07/10/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/15/0019Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Accounting Technician position.
- High school diploma/GED and at least one year of accounting experience
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Combination of post high school education and/or experience in accounting to equal at least 1 year
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and accounting experience to equal 5 years (ex. 3 years of high school and 2 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have experience with PINS, Fastlane, and grants.gov?
- * Please describe your work experience in the accounting field.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References