Lab Assistant 3
Lab Assistant 3 Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201906243541 Full Time Other $42,888 - $51,052 Position Information The incumbent shall perform technical and administrative duties related to the support of undergraduate instructional laboratories within the Department of Chemistry.
The purpose of this position is to provide instructional support for the efficient and safe conduct of Chem 8 A-B-C and other laboratory courses offer by the Department of Chemistry. Particular skills and responsibilities include detailed knowledge of laboratory courses; effective communication with faculty, staff, teaching assistants (TAs), student helpers and students; ordering and receiving of chemicals, supplies (non-chemical), safety items (personal protective equipment, PPEs) and equipment for laboratory use; store chemicals based on their hazard categories, maintain equipment and facilities, prepare reagents and student samples; assist students and TAs at the stockroom counter; set up equipment and laboratories for each experiment; maintain equipment, laboratories and electronic record of supplies; create, update and maintain complete chemical inventories for all rooms under control of the stockroom; generate waste tag and enter waste pick-up information into the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) online database as needed to ensure the safe and proper disposal of all chemical waste generated by the teaching labs; work as a team member; provide assistance to the teaching assistants in handling minor problems such as small spills; taking charge and informing the responding agencies in the case of more serious situations (such as student injuries).
A pre-employment skills assessment may be required as part of the recruitment process. Minimum Requirements Education and experience equivalent to two years of college level chemistry coursework and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated experience in gravimetric, reflux, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, chromatographic, vacuum filtration, spectrophotometric, IR, NMR and volumetric techniques, solution preparation and solution standardization and related analytical chemistry principals and calculations.
Knowledge of laboratory safety and inventory management system.
Demonstrated organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills. Preferred Qualifications Experience using a variety (e.g. toxic, carcinogenic, oxidizing, reducing, flammable, acidic, and basic) chemicals
Completion of a college level organic chemistry course
Experience working in a chemical stockroom and setting up student laboratories. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position