Requisition Number:19303Location: Boulder, Colorado Employment Type:FacultySchedule:Full-Time Close All
Job SummaryThis position will serve as an Assistant Director for the Miramontes Arts & Science Program (MASP). The Assistant Director will teach two, 1-credit seminars per semester and mentor approximately 55 MASP students majoring in the following fields: Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Pre-engineering, Psychology, and Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. This includes meeting with students regularly, developing academic plans for student persistence and postgraduate success, helping match students with resources and opportunities, etc. Additionally, the Assistant Director will aid the Faculty Director and Program Coordinator in developing programming for the school year, and assist with the planning, instruction, and administration of our summer bridge program. Who We AreThe Miramontes Arts & Sciences Program is a program dedicated to supporting motivated students who are members of a traditionally underrepresented community and/or are first-generation college students who want to be part of a diverse academic community in the College of Arts & Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder. This challenging and enriching program exposes students to opportunities on campus to enhance their academic experience, offers one-credit seminars that foster skills to promote academic success, provides one-on-one academic guidance and mentoring, and provides a supportive community.What You Should KnowThe Assistant Director will be hired as a 100% Instructor for the 2019-2020 academic year. We prefer this position start in the upcoming fall semester, however, we may be willing to work out a transition for those committed in the fall. The position is a three year renewable position.What We Can OfferStarting salary for the 100% Instructor position is $52,000 per academic year (Aug - May), with additional summer pay (up to two months’ salary) for teaching and assisting with our summer bridge program.Benefits
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be StatementsBe Authentic. Be Inclusive. Be Boulder.What We Require
- A Ph.D. in either Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Psychology, or Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences, OR in education with a STEM emphasis.
- A minimum of 2 years university teaching experience or equivalent training.
- A commitment to working with first-generation college students and/or students who are traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A degree or focus in counseling or psychology (clinical or academic).
- Ability or experience in facilitating cohort experiences and mentoring focused on racial and gender identity, sexuality, and mental health of students in our demographic.
- Expertise and experience mentoring or working with first-generation college students and/or underrepresented racial and ethnic groups.
Special InstructionsReview of applications will begin on August 1, 2019; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, please submit the materials listed below in PDF format to this posting with the following naming convention “LastName_FirstName_NameofDocument”, i.e., Sanchez_Mariah_CV:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter, which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement, which demonstrates your commitment to engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse audiences in higher education.
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Syllabi of 2-3 courses taught in the past 5 years
- Course Evaluations of 3-4 courses taught in the past 5 years
You will be asked by our system to provide three (3) professional references, who will be asked to submit a confidential letter of recommendation immediately upon application submission.Posting Contact Name:
Dr. Celeste Montoya, Faculty DirectorPosting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.