Dean, Information and Engineering Technologies
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleDean, Information and Engineering TechnologiesDepartmentProvost Information and Engineering TechnologiesPosting Number03301PLocationMultiple LocationsFull or Part TimeFull TimePosition End Date (if temporary)Required TravelRelocation CoveredSalary Range Position Summary Information Basic Function
The Information and Engineering Technologies (IET) Division is a college-wide division that includes all IET faculty and academic programs. Under the direction of the IET Provost, the IET Dean manages college-wide daily operations of IET; plans, organizes, administers, develops, and evaluates the projects and activities of IET academic programs; provides leadership for faculty and staff to offer high quality educational services for NOVA students; supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; and works collegially across all campuses with NOVA leadership, faculty and staff. The IET Dean supervises full-time faculty, classified personnel, and student workers, and indirectly supervises part-time faculty who directly report to the IET Associate Dean(s). The IET Dean is responsible for administering the instructional programs of IET, creating and sustaining an environment of academic excellence, engaging community and industry partners, and developing and implementing courses/programs of study which meet students’ and industry needs.Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the leadership of the Provost, organizes and operates the college-wide division of IET in accordance with the policies, procedures and regulations of the state and college
• Directs and organizes college-wide IET educational planning and program development in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives of the College.
• Ensures integrity of IET academic programs that includes coordination of program and discipline reviews, SLO data collection, and curriculum development.
• Provides campus-specific support that requires travel to each campus, combined with virtual meetings, to conduct faculty meetings, resource planning activities and assessment of program needs and curriculum.
• Provides enrollment management including developing a college-wide IET schedule to meet student needs and managing workload assignments.
• For students, collaborates with campus leadership in managing initial complaints and grievances, as well as requests such as third time course repeats, late registration, late changing of course sections, grade appeals, grade changes, writing or approval of letters of recommendation.
• Manages the IET Division budget effectively
• Supervises, evaluates, and develops faculty and staff
• Provides conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation of student, staff, and faculty concerns
• Formulates strategic objectives for the division and departments that align with the college and IET strategic plan.
• Represents IET in the community to promote programs and assess community and industry needs.
• Works collaboratively across all campuses and units to increase college-wide student success and retention.
• Keeps IET Provost informed of all important developments in the IET Division
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Must possess appropriate qualifications to teach one of the academic disciplines within the Information and Engineering Technologies Division. Specific teaching disciplines within the IET Division generally include Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Engineering Technology, and their related subsets/specialties.
• Experience in post-secondary teaching.
• Experience in post-secondary education administration, including supervision of faculty and instructional programs.
• Experience working with industry and community partners.
• Experience managing budgets.
• Experience in conflict resolution.
• Six or more years of college-level teaching experience
• Three or more years in post-secondary education administration that included supervision of faculty and instructional programs.
• Three or more years experience working with industry and community partners
• Experience managing multi-million dollar budgets.
• Demonstrated ability/success in securing and/or managing grants.
• Knowledge of college, state and federal standards governing academic programs.
• Knowledge of instructional techniques and pedagogy.
• A commitment to understanding and upholding the mission of a comprehensive community college
• Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to hold productive in-person and virtual meetings.
• Good interpersonal skills, including listening, and the ability to work with a diverse group.
• Ability to create and maintain an environment of collegiality.
• Ability to supervise, manage, evaluate performance and develop college faculty and staff.
• Skilled at collaborative leadership.
• Knowledge and ability to direct and participate in the development, analysis, and implementation of IET programs and curriculum.
• Project planning, time management, and priority setting skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
• High energy level, sense of humor, and ability to be diplomatic/tactful.
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education and qualifications to teach in an academic discipline or program at NOVA within the Information and Engineering Technologies Division?
- * Do you have teaching experience in higher education? If yes, how many years of full-time teaching experience do you have? (30 credits = 1 year of full-time teaching experience)
- No teaching experience or less than 1 year
- 2-4 years
- 5 or more years
- 10 or more years
- * Which discipline do you currently teach?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience managing budgets?
- * Do you have prior post-secondary education administrative experience that included supervision of faculty?
- * I understand that only information provided at the time of the application submission will be considered when determining my qualifications and only responses to Supplemental Questions that can be verified in my application and resume will be credited.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3