Position InformationPosition Information Present Position Number00973WRole Code TitlePR & Marketing Specialist IIIPosition TitleCommunications ManagerPosition Summary
The Communications Manager is responsible for pitching, researching, creating, writing, and editing compelling content for various delivery methods including presentations, targeted email, printed documents, appeals, and web pages for University Advancement and other units.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager partners with and advises colleagues across University Advancement to develop strategic communications plans that help the university advance its campaign goals.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Write compelling content to ensure that priorities and key messages are articulated clearly and consistently through Advancement publications, across-campus communications and through materials distributed to the media.
- Generate, research and identify creative ideas for stories that highlight students, faculty, staff and alumni that are working on efforts that advance the mission and vision of William & Mary
- Design, develop and implement strategic communications plans, based on best practices for fundraising, philanthropy and engagement.
- Analyze trends, evaluate, feedback on communications and recommend improvements.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, English or related field and substantive experience or specialized expertise directly related to the position.
- Strong knowledge of marketing or communication principles.
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and a positive, responsive, service-oriented attitude.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills with experience telling stories in a creative and accurate manner, with the ability to perform a variety of different writing tasks with creativity, invention, imagination, originality, and talent in message development and communications.
- Firm understanding of web technologies and applications, including social networking, social media tools, and current communication trends.
- Strong command of AP style, proofreader’s marks, and editing conventions, with the demonstrated command of correct grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Strong project management skills with the ability to identify short-and long-range goals and affect, interpret and implement communication strategies including work on cross-functional teams.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills with the proven ability to work with a diverse audience and collaboratively with other writers, and designers and other team members and effectively collaborate, build support and consensus across a complex organization and express nuanced ideas.
- Possession of diplomacy, tact and confidentiality when working with individuals on and off campus, and responding to Advancement audiences.
- Excellent analytical, and problem-solving skills, with the demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in support of the goals of University Advancement and William & Mary.
- Great degree of flexibility and outstanding organizational skills with the demonstrated ability to manage multiple and competing projects concurrently while adhering to strict deadlines. Ability to adapt to changes and/or upgrades in office procedures and systems.
- Experience in coordinating and developing communications across a variety of marketing channels
- Marketing or communication experience is required with a clear understanding of the complexities of higher education and the conventions of writing, editing and proofreading.
- Previous related writing experience.
Master’s degree in a related area preferred.
- Knowledge of Alumni, Advancement, and Student Information Systems.
- An in-depth understanding of best practices in university marketing and communications.
- Understanding of the operating structure of universities and the complex relationship of public universities to their constituencies.
- Experience in all aspects of public communications including, strategy, planning, project management, editing and publishing is highly desirable.
- Significant experience in print publication and integrated media communications.
- Extensive portfolio that includes a variety of communications pieces (including publications, appeal letters, campaign collateral, proposals, talking points, website content, scripts and digital communications).
U08Job Open Date07/03/2019Review Begin Date07/23/2019Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesEmployment CategoryOperational FTPosition Term12-MonthSpecial Application Instructions
Please include writing samples.Conditions of Employment:
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc. as directed and approved by the supervisor.
- This position is subject evening and weekend work.
- This position requires the ability to travel as required.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample