Job Title: Budget Analyst
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 4919
Staff Posting Details
Appointment: Regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) position
- Coordinate receipt of and analyze financial projections prepared by others and prepare the university-wide Budget Variance Report (BVR).
- Serve as Office of Finance point of contact for Associated Students of the University of Puget Sound (ASUPS) by facilitating regular meetings, providing training, answering questions, and managing and processing requests in adherence with the ASUPS financial code and Senate minutes.
- Prepare and/or review and distribute budget worksheets to budget managers. Load and reconcile operating budgets for educational and general (E&G) operations, auxiliary operations, ASUPS (student government), and other budgets as needed.
- Coordinate ResNet, international programs, and residential programming (RA/CC, RD, and RHA) budgets and transfers (following official census on the 10th day of classes in fall and spring semesters and at other appropriate times to “true-up” the budgets).
- Coordinate, review, and approve budget-related entries, including budgeted transfer entries.
- Provide budget orientation training to faculty and staff for managing budgets within PeopleSoft Financials. Orientation may include a group session or one-on-one training.
- Provide budget support to university constituents.
- Maintain and manage currency of budget manager authorizations within PeopleSoft Financials, including documentation for changes in signing authority and viewing access to PeopleSoft Financial budgets.
- Develop, coordinate, and maintain monthly fringe benefit expense allocations, staff compensation redistribution between E&G and auxiliary, and budget allocations to cover actual student employment wages across campus.
- Maintain comprehensive and complex international programs financial matrix, reflecting program revenues, expenses and margins.
- Serve as functional lead for the commitment control (budget) module for PeopleSoft Financials. Design, test, implement, and maintain budget configuration setting and security rules, and recommend and execute test plans to implement upgrades and new functionality.
- Reconcile the commitment control and general ledger as a part of fiscal year-end close.
- Coordinate with Payroll and other Finance staff responsible for grant accounting to: prepare or review federal grant fringe benefit rate proposals, ensuring timely and accurate submission; communicate approved federal fringe benefit rates to constituents; and ensure approved fringe benefit rates are entered into and properly applied within the university’s ERP system and other systems as applicable to accurately allocate benefit expenses to federally funded grants.
- Coordinate the setup of University Enrichment Committee grants (internal grants) within PeopleSoft, as well as related budget and reconciliation work.
- Coordinate with other Finance and CES staff to prepare and maintain the campus-wide (E&G, Auxiliary, and ASUPS) student employment budget.
- Maintain a deep understanding of Puget Sound’s budget and continuously look for ways to improve information, processes, and service delivery to budget managers.
Budget Variance Projections and Reporting (BVR)
- Maintain and coordinate periodic review of BVR line item assignments.
- Proactively coordinate with others involved in the BVR preparation process to recommend an appropriate calendar/timeline for each BVR.
- Proactively and effectively communicate the timeline for each BVR with budget managers, support staff, and others involved in the BVR process.
- Review BVR projections and analysis prepared or collected by others. Ensure projections are appropriately documented and/or supported with analysis. Follow up if needed to obtain projections that are reasonable, conservative and analytically sound.
- Prepare the BVR, reconcile it to the Long Range Plan (LRP), prepare supporting analysis as needed, and research and write accurate and succinct BVR explanatory notes.
- As part of the fiscal year close process, partner with Finance leadership team members to confirm appropriate benefit expense accruals are made and ensure fringe benefit expenses are fully and appropriately allocated.
- Maintain international program matrix of revenues and expenses and ensure accuracy of projections and actual study abroad program expenses based on information from international programs director and general ledger records.
Academic Program Financial Reporting:
- Maintain graduate program financial models, coordinating modeling and reporting as scheduled or requested. This includes proactively ensuring that accurate graduate program compensation budgets are loaded and the administrative overhead rate is calculated.
- Maintain academic program cost models and reports.
- Develop other reports or analysis as needed.
- Develop effective relationships and communications with team members and constituents.
- Prepare or review benefit-related and possibly other financial surveys, ensuring analysis of results and timely and accurate submission.
- Cross-train and back up other Finance team members. Serve as primary backup for daily receipting and deposit activities. Provide backup and support to Administrative Assistant for web page updates and maintenance.
Supervisory Responsibilities - May supervise student staff or temporary staff
Budget Responsibilities - No direct budget authority exists for this positionQualifications:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree, with accounting degree preferred.
- Requires a solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and GAAP financial statements, preferably for private colleges/universities and/or not-for-profit organizations.
- Requires significant, increasingly complex financial analysis experience including budget development, projections, variance analysis, and financial reporting.
- Requires the ability to analyze, understand, and document business processes, identify relevant questions, and create effective financial models.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, including creating and delivering presentations.
- Requires the ability to work in cooperation with other team members to achieve university and Finance department goals and objectives.
- Requires the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining high quality and accurate work and adhering to deadlines.
- Requires flexibility and positive response to changing circumstances.
- Requires the ability to recognize sensitive information and maintain its confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate initiative, self-direction, ownership of projects, ability to meet deadlines, attention to detail, strong analytical skills, and excellent organization, follow-through, and problem solving skills.
- Requires a quick and continuous learner.
- Must have superior aptitude for and skill with technology, including learning new technology, understanding databases, and using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access or other database reporting tools.
- Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community.
- ResumeLetter of Interest
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://www2.pugetsound.jobs/psp/HRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_SCH_PSTDSC_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;