Librarian 1 - Williamson County Campus
Columbia State Community College is recruiting for a Librarian 1 – Williamson County Campus
To provide professional library services and support for student success at the Williamson Campus of Columbia State. This position also serves as the Cataloger for the Columbia State Library. Responsibilities include: maintaining a library environment that is open, engaging and student centric; providing instruction and assisting students in obtaining resources that support their studies at the Williamson Campus; assisting other offices as it pertains to student success; cataloging and managing library materials and bibliographic resources for student access; and actively contributing to a college culture of service for student success.
1. Maintains the lead role in providing student (customer) centric professional library services at the Williamson County Campus.
2. Maintains the lead role in the provision of instructional services at the Williamson County campus and at other teaching locations in Williamson County, teaching library skills and research methods as needed to support the curriculum.
3. Provides reference and information services to students, faculty, administration, and community users of the Williamson County campus library.
4. Instructs individual library users in the public service area.
5. Prepares research guides and other teaching materials in a variety of formats.
6. Evaluates print materials, electronic databases, and internet resources for inclusion in the library’s collection.
7. Assists at the Williamson County campus with any public service activity required to operate the unit including, but not limited to reference, instruction, computer assistance and any appropriate service activity.
8. Participate in library policy and procedure development.
9. Cooperates with faculty in selecting materials and in planning for their effective use.
10. Encourages and promotes the use of the library and its materials and services.
11. Learns new technologies and provides training to others in their use.
12. Develops bibliographies and tutorials both in print and online.
13. Categorize and classify library materials, including books, CDs, films, newspapers, or other documents.
14. Follow library standards and guidelines when classifying documents.
15. Consider rules of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress subject heading policies, Dewey Decimal Classification, Arabic subject headings, MARC21 and catalog materials in categories of advanced specialized backgrounds.
16. Ensure all material can be retrieved conveniently using standardized methods.
17. Perform original and copy cataloging and adapt online records according to guidelines in all subject areas and languages.
18. Adjust rules when new type of material surfaces and consult with colleagues on improving cataloging processes.
19. Consistently seek to review, evaluate, and improve library processes for student access and success.
20. Keep professionally current including new knowledge and understandings of new technologies and innovations.
21. Attend conferences and continuing education classes.
1. Provide student support services for Williamson County Students to include but not limited to: providing student ID for Williamson County Students, assisting with orientations, and actively participating as a member of the College community in supporting and providing service to students for their success
2. Serves on college committees
3. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the Library.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Work Characteristics:
1. Maintains an awareness of current technologies and trends in libraries.
2. Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
3. Ability to relate to a diverse faculty, staff, student, and community populations.
4. Good organizational skills and initiative.
5. Works well with public.
6. Pleasant and supportive in performance of public duties.
1. Flexible work hours are required.
2. Lifting up to 40 pounds.
3. Sitting for long hours at a service desk or computer terminal.
4. Climbing ladders.
5. Pushing heavy carts up to 100 pounds.
6. Assistance with Columbia and extended campus services is required, including evening and weekend services.
Requirements of the Position
Education, Training and Experience Required:
1. Master’s degree accredited by the American Library Association.
Education, Training and Experience Preferred:
1. Reference and instructional experience with cataloging experience preferred
2. Experience with Ex Libris (Voyager) or other integrated library system preferred.
Hiring Salary Range: $34,000 - $44,560
For more information, or to apply for this position, please go to the link at https://www.tbr.edu/hr/institution-jobs and Click on the Columbia State Community College View Opportunities link.
Applications for this position are accepted through the on-line process only.
Columbia State Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.