Data Governance Architect
Stony Brook Medicine is seeking a highly skilled Data Governance Architect to help design and implement Stony Brook Medicine's certified data sets and self-reporting strategy. The Data Governance Architect is a new position responsible for establishing data governance and scaling our enterprise wide reporting strategy by presenting certified data marts to Operational, Clinical, Financial, and Research departments within the Stony Brook Medicine Health system. The selected candidate will need to identify requirements, design and develop interactive data marts that that can be used by team members and external stakeholders for reporting across the Hospital enterprise.
Primary responsibilities of the Data Governance Architect include establishing the data governance strategy, designing and modeling robust data schema's that are used to build custom intuitive data marts which can be readily used by reporting and data visualization analysts. As a senior member of the Enterprise Analytics team the Data Governance Architect will mentor and train internal and external team members ensuring overall data governance across the enterprise, establishing a data dictionary and using industry standard best practices for the purpose of statistical data analysis, reporting and data visualization.
The successful candidate will bring a balance of creative problem solving, hands-on data analytics and manipulation and practical software integration skills. The candidate will also be responsible for data governance and architectural oversight of Cerner’s Population Health Management suite of products HealtheAnalytics and HealtheEDW.
This team member will drive and contribute to all major data management related software lifecycle tasks including requirements, analysis, solution design, development, testing, training, implementation and support.
The candidate will provide support in making strategic data-related decisions by analyzing data, finding actionable insights and work with leadership to drive change across the hospital’s reporting enterprise.
Duties of the Data Governance Architect may include the following but are not limited to:
Work with team members to define and operationalize our enterprise wide data warehouse and reporting strategy.
- Lead data model development exercises with the project team(s) developers and analysts to architect data models that match project requirements that adhere to best practices, standards, performance, and certification.
- Define data governance and validation models while promoting the usage of certified data sets across the reporting enterprise.
- Design, code and operationalize end to end database models and schemas that will be used develop data marts for custom dashboards, reports and enterprise wide “self-service” reporting requirements.
- Central point of contact for designing effective database solutions, data extraction, translation and ingestion patterns used by the Enterprise Analytics team. Data will be extracted from multiple source systems and will be provided in the format requested by our end users.
- Help improve performance and accuracy of existing reports by optimizing existing SQL queries as necessary and establishing best practice techniques.
- Author technical requirements, prepare accurate database design, governance and architectural specifications for usage by internal and external team members.
- Where applicable oversee the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions.
- Assess database implementation policies and procedures to ensure compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Create data ingestion validation tools and techniques used during the data translation and ingestion process.
- Create tools used for monitoring system performance, individual data source statuses and data usability (staleness) based on predefined update frequencies.
- Communicate results of data analyses in a clear and effective manner to internal and external stakeholders.
- Mentor and educate staff members on data governance, data architecture patterns, policies and procedures user to support our certified data marts.
- Provide technical support to production systems as needed.
- Work in a high paced team environment with the ability to multitask when required based on project plan and business priorities.
Required Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, other related applied science field.
- 7 to 10+ years’ experience in data mining, large scale data acquisition, transformation, validation and cleansing of both structured and unstructured data from disparate data sources.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in a similar role as a data architect/governance manager within a fast paced data driven environment.
- Experience with database schema design, modeling and designing database tables that facilitate efficient information retrieval.
- Proficient knowledge of SQL –
- Working with SQL server and Oracle; able to write sound, efficient, and proper SQL statements ensuring stability, reliability, and performance of databases.
- Experience with stored procedures and able to query complex datasets and derive conclusions, including using all types of joins between multiple tables.
- Skilled at optimizing large complicated SQL statements using indexes and knowledge of best practices.
- Competency in data manipulation and analysis; accessing raw data in varied formats with different methods and analyzing and processing data.
- The candidate must have programming proficiency with analytical platform software and BI systems expertise including but not limited to Business Objects, SQL and Tableau.
- Considerable experience with statistical tools and methods to incorporate statistical results into analyses.
- Ability to turn vague concepts and asks into well-documented and effective business metrics and insights.
- Masters Degree in Computer Science, Health Informatics or related discipline.
- Experience with the Cerner Electronic Medical Record and Population Health applications (i.e. HealtheEDW & HealtheAnalytics).
- Experience with analyzing and reporting on patient measure outcomes produced by 3M tools, patient registries etc.
- Knowledge of HL7 transactions, Health Care Claims (837) and/or CCDA a plus.
- Knowledge of, and exposure to, established standards of care presented by CMS, NCQA, AHRQ, IOM.
- Knowledge of Hadoop, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Python, SSIS or Azure a plus.
- Experience with Data Lineage Tools / Central Data Dictionary.
- Experience with Tableau or other data statistical, visualization, and predictive modeling software.
- Mentored / directed junior programmer analysts and team member(s).
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
The Talent Acquisition team will begin reviewing resumes on 7/1/2019 and continue until the position is filled. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Shift: Day Shift
Posting Start Date: Jul 1, 2019
Posting End Date: Ongoing