Type of Position
Under the direction of the Bursar, the Associate Bursar assists in the day to day operations of the Office of the Bursar and assures compliance with all federal, state, and College regulations for the collection of student accounts and loan receivables. The Associate Bursar provides counseling and guidance to various constituents regarding policy and makes policy and operational recommendations as necessary.
Controller - Bursar
Reports to Title
Full or Part Time
Number Of Months
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
• Communicate financial information in a professional and courteous manner to help students and parents understand their financial obligation to the College both verbally and in writing.
• Supervise responses and resolution of requests and inquiries from students, parents, faculty, and staff in regard to student accounts.
• Assist with integrated systems implementation, updates, and reporting.
• Authorize payment of external invoices for students studying abroad after analysis of students' accounts and verification of terms of the contract between institutions.
• Oversee billing, collection, and reconciliation of all Sponsor Billing.
• Authorize and manage the process of student refunds to ensure compliance with federal, state, and institutional policy.
• Stay current on federal regulations with respect to loans, disbursement of federal funds, reconciliation, cash management, and processing of credit balances.
• Assist with 1098T and semester pre-bill, preparation, testing, and implementation.
• Reconcile student enrollment in campus meal plans.
• Manage Perkins and institutional loans, including communication and outreach to borrowers before placing with a collection agency.
• Work with external collection companies for Perkins and institutional loans placements. Serve as liaison and coordinate efforts with Federal Perkins Loan servicer, collection agencies, and, where appropriate, attorneys. Negotiate repayment agreements and rehabilitation of loans according to the federal regulations. Maintain contact with collection offices regarding the status of placed accounts. Review and authorize payment of collection agency fees.
• Assist with the creation, maintenance, and updating of training materials and support documentation.
• Act as a liaison with external provider of student payment plans, e-payments, and the student account center portal. Oversee reconciliation of student e-payments.
• Assist with annual College audit and prepare audit documents as required.
• Supervise the Student Loan Assistant and Bursar Assistant positions.
• Make processing decisions that support the policies and goals of the College.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills are required; ability to convey information effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Must handle confidential information in a discreet manner, maintain confidentiality, discretion, and judgement in dealing with sensitive information and data.
• Must be able to work independently as well as with a team.
• Commitment to working in a demanding environment, including work as needed to meet deadlines and project timeframes in response to institutional needs.
Required Qualification Summary
• Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Business Administration
• Five years of related experience in financial controls and customer service management. Supervisory experience is a strong plus.
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application