Sr. Financial Analyst - Division of Student Affairs
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-06-28
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Sr. Financial Analyst will be responsible for monitoring the daily financial activities of units within the Division of Student Affairs. Individual will provide support to multiple units by providing financial data analysis, including assistance with budget variances and revenue and expense forecasts to assist with decision making processes. Individual will assist in establishing, monitoring and enforcing financial policies and procedures that ensure units meet their financial goals and objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Budgetary and Financial
• Primarily responsible for the oversight of monthly financial and planning analyses and forecasting activities across nine budgets units within the Division of Student Affairs.
• Responsible for providing timely detailed analysis and/or narrative explanations regarding budget variances and projections. Will work closely with units to understand and address underlying causes of variances and ensure projections remain within the defined annual budgetary parameters.
• Ability to extract data from various business systems in order to provide detailed analyses and interpretation at the Budget Unit and Department level.
• Provide support and guidance to units with monthly financial reconciliations and adherence to annual budget in accordance with University Budget Guidelines.
• Serve as a resource to units and senior staff by providing financial reports that assist with analyzing financial position.
• Provide assistance and training to units relating to financial activities including monthly reconciliations, correct accounting policies and procedures, and problem resolution to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
• Provide support and guidance to units throughout the annual budget planning process. Ensure that annual budgets meet the defined parameters set for units in accordance with the University Budget Guidelines.
• Individual will continually keep themselves updated on current University systems and policies and procedures.
• Assist with the creation and updating of various financial documents provided to units in order to track monthly revenue and expense actuals and projections.
• Assist with the monthly management and year-end closing activities.
• Assist departments in reporting on Unrelated Business Income.
• Individual will exercise discretion and independent judgement in daily activities.
• Support the Associate Vice President and Director, Budget and Personnel with various financial projects as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field. Masters of Business Administration preferred.
• Minimum of three years of relevant experience in a financial/accounting environment.
• Advanced level of proficiency in using Microsoft Excel to include pivot tables, v-lookups, macros.
• Strong organizational skills – ability to work under pressure and under tight deadlines.
• Strong data analysis skills - ability to provide clear written analysis regarding financial activities easily understood for non-financial audience.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement in decision making.
• Ability to create positive, respectful and collaborative relationships with colleagues within the Division of Student Affairs and across the University.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c106