Foundation Studies Composition Faculty
This position is responsible for teaching in both the Foundation Studies as well as the Language Literature and Arts departments. A passion for working with students at the developmental level of composition and facility with emerging pedagogy and practices in developmental education must be demonstrated. A commitment to equity-minded instructional models including distance learning, hybrid, compressed semesters, and competency-based education is also expected.
This full time teaching position includes instruction of 33-35 credit hours per academic year. Teaching assignments will be based upon the specific applicant’s qualifications and experience and will focus on developmental and gateway courses in composition, but may also include courses in research and writing, business and technical writing, literature, creative writing, and humanities. Leadership skills and advocacy abilities are expected as the Foundation Studies area engages internal and external partners on behalf of student success initiatives. The position will be based at the Jackson College Central campus in Jackson, Michigan. Teaching courses at other JC locations, evening courses and weekend courses and at prison locations may also be expected and must include the ability to obtain a Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) clearance and maintain it annually, at all Michigan correctional facilities.
- Master’s degree in English Composition, English Writing, Written Rhetoric or closely related degree
- Teaching experience in English composition with developmental writers
- Two years’ teaching experience at the community college level in a related field
- Experience in creating courses, course materials and content
- Engagement in strategies and practices for accelerating and remediating developmental needs
Generous retirement plan; campus fitness facility; EAP; medical, dental & vision plans; 16 paid holidays, and more.