Computer & Network Assistant Systems Manager
Computer & Network Assistant Systems ManagerJob no: 500310
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Computer Science
Salary: Salary Commensturate with experience
Applications Open: Jul 01 2019
General Summary of Position:
The Department of Computer Science at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is searching to fill a full-time position of Assistant Systems Manager.
The successful applicant's role will be - under the Department's current Systems Manager - to proactively manage and refine our IT infrastructure from provisioning to maintenance. The role runs the gamut from providing the programming environment for all students and faculty to supporting small teams of our research labs.
The Department of Computer Science at the University of Massachusetts Lowell (an R2 research department) consists of 25 faculty members, more than 100 graduate students, and more than 2,000 undergraduates (including both on-campus and on-line students). The Department seeks an Assistant Systems Manager to support these constituencies.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell Computer Science Department (an R2 research department) consists of 25 faculty members, more than 100 graduate students, and more than two-thousand undergraduate students (including on-campus and on-line students). The CS Department is looking to fill an Assistant Systems Manager's position. The successful applicant’s role will be — under the Department's current Systems Manager — to proactively manage and refine our IT infrastructure from provisioning to maintenance. This role runs the gamut from providing the programming environment for all students and faculty to supporting small teams of our research labs.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- BS Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or related degree
- Strong background in Linux administration with minimum of 1 year of experience
- Knowledge of Windows, Mac OS X
- Experience with automation/configuration management software, like Puppet, Chef, or equivalent
- Experience with virtual machine management software, like VMWare VSphere
- Experience with virtual machine automation software, like Vagrant
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- A working understanding of code and scripting
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Strong professional/interpersonal skills, and an ability to work with, and support the needs of a broad and diverse “client base,” including faculty, staff and students
- Knowledge of programming and programming languages is a strong plus
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application. References will be contacted for a letter of reference immediately after application submission. References will be required to upload recommendation letters to our on-line portal; neither emailed nor hard-copy letters will be accepted. *Three letters of reference are required.