Adjunct - Communication Studies – Manassas
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleAdjunct - Communication Studies – ManassasDepartmentLASSPosting Number03295PLocationManassas, VA: 20109Full or Part TimePart-TimePosition End Date (if temporary)Required TravelRelocation CoveredSalary Range Position Summary Information Basic Function
The primary responsibility of an Adjunct faculty member at Northern Virginia Community College is to provide quality instruction for the students. The major emphasis is on excellent teaching by working with students in classrooms, laboratories, individual conferences, and related activities. Faculty help students develop their interests and abilities to their fullest capacity to become better workers and better citizens. Instructors may be needed during the daytime, evening or Saturday hours. An adjunct faculty appointment contains no guarantee of continued employment.Duties and Responsibilities
Teach Communication Studies courses at the Manassas campus of Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA). Adjunct faculty are employed to teach up to 12 credit hours in the fall and spring semester and/or up to 8 credit hours during summer session. Teaching load is based upon student enrollment and staffing needs.Minimum Qualifications
Master’s Degree in Communication Studies/Speech Communication or a Master’s degree with 18 graduate semester hours in Communication Studies/Speech Communication or related coursework (interpersonal communication, group communication, public speaking, rhetorical studies, organizational communication, intercultural communication).Preferred Qualifications
Teaching experience in Communication Studies or related disciplines at the college level. Experience with Canvas or another learning management system.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
•Adept knowledge of instructional technologies
•Excellent interpersonal and native or near-native oral and written English skills
•Ability to work with a diverse student population
•Successful passing of a criminal background check
•Adjunct faculty are required to meet assigned classes on meeting dates,
submit required grade records and reports, and student learning outcomes.
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background
investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of
education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as
I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s
Statement of Economic Interest.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master’s Degree in Communication Studies/Speech Communication or a Master's degree with 18 graduate semester hours in Communication Studies/Speech Communication; or related coursework (interpersonal communication, group communication, public speaking, rhetorical studies, organizational communication, intercultural communication)?
- * Do you have experience working with a diverse student population?
- * Do you have teaching experience in Communication Studies/Speech Communication or related disciplines at the college level?
- * Do you have experience with Canvas or another learning management system?
- * I understand that only information provided at the time of the application submission will be considered when determining my qualifications and only responses to Supplemental Questions that can be verified in my application and resume will be credited.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3