Head Men's Lacrosse Coach/Athletic Communications Assistant
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefited union staff position under the supervision of the Director of Athletics. This position serves as the head coach of the men’s lacrosse team and runs this athletic program in accordance with Maine Maritime Academy, North Atlantic Conference, and NCAA rules, regulations and policies. The employee must be committed to promoting academic and athletic achievement in a way that is fully aligned with the mission of Maine Maritime Academy Athletics and the NCAA Division III philosophy. The employee will also assist the Athletic Communications Coordinator with general coverage of athletics events during the fall semester.
• Serve as the coach of a varsity program responsible for organizing and directing all aspects of a successful and competitive NCAA Division III Program
• Recruit and retain roster of student-athletes
• Conduct high-quality teaching in a humane learning environment
• Monitor and promote the academic and personal growth of student-athletes
• Develop and manage program’s budget
• Operate program in a manner consistent with NCAA and NAC bylaws
• Develop and maintains alumni support for the program
• Supervise assistant coaches
ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS DUTIES
• Assists with promotion of athletic teams in a manner that is consistent with institutional communications and branding strategy, using thoughtful and effective outreach to elevate the Academy’s profile and stature.
• Assists with management of the official athletic website, athletic social media platforms, and web streaming portal.
• Supervises student staff responsible for the compilation of statistical information and web-streaming for home contests for assigned sports.
• Assists with ensuring that accurate information is available to the public in a timely manner.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
• Excellent organization skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize and to handle competing multiple projects
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills required
• Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
• Strong customer service skills
• Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
• Ability to inspire and motivate
• The ability to establish strong and effective personal and professional relationships
• Flexibility, initiative, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to work with and support adolescents and young adults
• Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
• Adept at learning and using software programs
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures
• Computer proficiency/knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
• Energetic, flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person and in writing
• Public speaking experience
• Valid driver’s license is required
• Background check required
• Contacts include Alumni, Parents, Students and various external and internal constituencies
• This job requires the capacity to travel, work long hours, evenings and several weekends as necessary
• Occasionally lift, push and move up to 30 pounds
• Exposure to the elements during regularly scheduled outdoor activities
• Requires occasional lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching
• The duties require moderate to active physical activity.
• Required to manipulate keyboard.
• Requires sustained use of computer monitor.
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application forms. Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to [email protected] (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
•Completed MMA Application*
•Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
•Contact information for at least three professional references
•Completed MMA Application Checklist
•MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
Do Not Send Personally Identifiable Information (PII) by email.
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.