Chemical and Environmental Laboratory Specialist
Lafayette College offers nationally recognized engineering programs and is currently seeking a team-oriented Chemical and Environmental Laboratory Specialist. In a position that plays a central role in laboratory safety within chemical and environmental laboratories as well as across the engineering programs, the ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, have a strong willingness to learn, the ability to work independently and as a member of a team, and a strong sense of the importance of laboratory safety.
- Maintain and troubleshoot analytical instrumentation and specialized equipment related to chemical, bio-, civil, and environmental engineering.
- Work with the engineering faculty, train students in the proper handling of chemicals and the use and operation of instruments and equipment.
- Oversee set-up of teaching laboratories and assist students with operation of equipment during laboratory class time.
- Assist faculty and students in the design and creation of specialized testing setups, in coordination with the Engineering Machine Shop staff..
- Serve as Chemical Hygiene Officer for engineering programs.
- Oversee the safe handling, storage, and disposal of supplies and chemicals.
- Interface with chemical supply and disposal companies.
- Work closely with faculty and students on laboratory activities associated with both teaching and research projects..
- Periodically work on special projects and events.
- Other duties as required.
The position is full-time and permanent (not grant funded). The position reports to the Director of the Engineering Division with day-to-day oversight by the department heads of Civil and Environmental and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. The College offers a comprehensive benefits package including health care, retirement, tuition, among other benefits.
Lafayette College has offered engineering programs since 1866 and is recognized as a national leader in undergraduate engineering education. The degree programs are founded on the principle that engineering graduates need both strong technical skills and a broad education to enable them to think critically. The engineering programs have approximately 40 faculty and 700 students.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and/or experience in a related capacity
- Five+ years experience in chemical handling/safety and use of analytical instrumentation.
- Hands-on skills in equipment maintenance, plumbing, and electric.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple and conflicting work priorities
- Excellent attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Lafayette College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, age, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law in its educational programs and activities, admissions, or employment as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of sex); the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of disability); Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national origin); and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which requires that the College not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin); and other applicable laws and College policies.