Associate Director, Communications (Medical)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-14
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented work force to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, innovation, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes to making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 16,000 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central
to the Division—Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership—which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
The Associate Director, Communications is responsible for serving as the backup for the Sr. Director of Medical Development Communications, directing the workflow of the department in the Sr. Director’s absence, in addition to normal day-to-day writing/editing responsibilities. This includes representing the Sr. Director in meetings and/or exchanges with pertinent administrators/employees regarding departmental requests, and coordinating assignments with the other writers, as needed. In addition, the Associate Director will serve as lead writer for most donor and alumni-related writing assignments.
· Serve as the representative/delegate for the Sr. Director of Development Communications, directing the workflow of the department, representing the Sr. Director at meetings, and coordinating assignments with the other writers or colleagues, as needed.
· Serve as lead writer for donor and alumni-related assignments as requested by the President, Sr. Vice President of University Advancement, the Associate Vice Presidents, the Executive Director of Foundation Relations, and Development Officers.
· Assist with talking points and speeches for the President, Sr. Vice President of University Advancement, Dean of the Miller School of Medicine, CEO of UHealth – the University of Miami Health System - and others.
· Assist Sr. Director with writing assignments, such as donor or alumni articles, web and social media content, direct mail campaigns, and nominations for awards.
· Assist Sr. Director with writing and the design of fundraising material, including newsletters, power point presentations, CASE statements, and web communications.
· Help source and maintain the content for the Division’s alumni social media sites.
· Help maintain UCARE- the Division’s peer-to-peer fundraising site.
· Assist with writing of collateral pieces for Division special events, such as Donors and Scholars Luncheon and Medical Alumni Weekend.
· Assist with editing and proof reading of invitations, programs, proposals, and other items, as needed.
· Assist with researching of subject matter and interviewing of physicians and donors for published articles.
· Assist with maintaining strong lines of communication between the President and University Communications team, Miller School communications team, and communication officers of various schools and colleges.
· Assist with the digital archiving of communications articles, photos and other collateral
· Assist with editing and proof reading UHealth’s peer-to-peer fundraising platform UCARE
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree and five years’ effective and relevant work experience is required. Equivalent combinations of education/experience may be considered. Must have excellent command of the English language, both oral and written. Ability to communicate in Spanish is an asset. Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Word and Access, required.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c106