Sr. Marketing Writer
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-18
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Writer analyzes, simplifies, writes, and designs well-organized, high-quality, error-free content in both hard-copy and online formats for the University and assigned department(s) to best meet the needs of both internal and external audiences. Further, the Writer gathers facts, figures, personal stories, and evidence of the University’s impact that contribute to the development of compelling marketing communications content.
Core Job Functions
1. Proofreads and fact-checks documents prior to publishing and advises management of any identified corrections.
2. Serves as a liaison to all assigned department staff units to effectively plan and support content related to their objectives.
3. Develops and maintains a sitemap for indexing and archiving content.
4. Monitors website performance and coordinates focus groups, user tests, and surveys to analyze and meet audience needs.
5. Assists in placing stories in University media.
6. Writes memos, reports, forms, presentations, and other content.
7. Assures content creation aligns with the University’s overall messaging and content strategy.
8. Conducts research to thoroughly understand content topics and related initiatives and activities.
9. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
• Ability to handle difficult and stressful situations with professional composure.
• Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions.
Department Specific Functions
The Division of Continuing Education’s Marketing Department (www.dcie.miami.edu) drives demand for student enrollments by developing engaging messaging at every touchpoint in the enrollment and student lifecycle. As an essential member of the Marketing team, this position will be responsible for conceptualizing, writing, proofreading and editing content for digital and print, prospective student interactions, and presentations. The position will develop program collateral, student stories, social media content, print, and digital ad copy, promotional campaigns, emails, event invitations, media and corporate communications and more. The role requires exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences. Department specific functions include:
• Concept and write high-engagement content that triggers desired outcomes, often related to enrollment goals, from prospective students, domestic and international students, internal and external stakeholder audiences.
• Develop a variety of content marketing materials across a variety of media and formats: program marketing collateral; print, television, radio, and digital ads; scripts and storyboards; social media and search engine optimized (SEO) web content, student/faculty/department profiles and stories; bylines and marketing emails.
• Drive the creation of original concepts that result in effective and compelling communication.
• Produce compelling, error-free, and grammatically correct content that adheres to the University’s style guidelines.
• Interpret creative direction and adapt points from creative briefs into persuasive copy concepts.
• Simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines.
• Propose copy concepts and present underlying strategic thinking to department and unit leadership.
• Ensure all copy deadlines are met and the timely release of new creative campaigns and deliverables.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have demonstrated success in developing content that yields sales/revenue results for brands/organizations.
• An extensive portfolio.
• Must have a critical eye for detail.
• Deadline driven—must meet established project deliverable timelines.
• Experienced in producing copy for digital, social, print and broadcast channels.
• Exceptional talent and skill in the nuances of writing across various mediums and targeting multiple audience segments.
• Exceptional proofreading and editing skills.
• Understanding different language styles that appeal to various target markets.
• Solid understanding of SEO concepts.
• Strong knowledge of commonly used style guides.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Self-motivated and organized.
• Proven flexibility to provide quality deliverables for a high-producing department with shifting priorities.
All candidates must submit a portfolio of their work that includes diversity in content and media formats at the time of application.
Candidates with experience working within a creative, ad or marketing agency, or in-house corporate marketing department developing digital and promotional and sales content are preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communication or a related field preferred.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c105