Assistant Professor of Research - Surgery (Oncology)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-01-03
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Surgery
The incumbent will have a background in genetics, molecular and cellular biology or equivalent area. The Research Assistant Professor will manage postdoctoral fellows and their research projects, and will supervise research projects of interns, undergraduate or graduate students. The Research Assistant Professor may lecture or conduct demonstrations and teach across UM schools. The Research Assistant Professor will partner and collaborate with faculty in the Department of Surgery, and perhaps other departments throughout UM, to advance knowledge, training, and education.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Reporting to the head of his/her laboratory and the leadership of the Department of Surgery; the incumbent will conduct, collaborate and manage scientific research
• Manage the daily operations of his/her lab; conduct reserch experiments, collect and analyze data
• Conduct regular lab meetings,
• Supervise, mentor and manage postdoctoral fellows as well as graduate students engaged in collaborative research projects
• Write and submit scientific papers and abstractsl, submit grant proposals
Faculty members in the Department of Surgery will need to meet the following requirements:
• Ph.D. in genetics, biology, molecular biology, or equivalent area
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of scientific techniques
• Demonstrated experience in running a lab, funded research projects, and/or supervising post-docs
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work with diverse constituency
• Computer literacy
• Demonstrates ability to develop collaborative research projects in a manner consistent with the mentor’s research plan and contribute towards the making of scientific advances in the field of work.
• Demonstrates ability to teach in the laboratory setting and/or through presentations of papers and/or seminars.
• Contribution to grant applications that are collaborative in nature with the mentor.
• Demonstrates desire to move towards scientific independence through submission of grant applications with the mentor’s approval, collaborate with scientists other than the primary mentor with whom the scientist works.
All Applicant Must Apply Online
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:FacultyPay Grade:50