Staff - Employee Relations Officer
Employee Relations Officer
Location: Pecan Plaza
Min Salary: $63,000.00
Temporary End Date (if applicable):
General Statement of Job
The Employee Relations Officer is responsible for the overall operation and implementation of the College's employee relations, personnel policies and procedures, and training regarding employment law. Performs specialized work and exercises considerable independent judgment to ensure the fair and equitable application of employment practices for all employees on a College-wide basis. Supervises assigned staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides neutral, impartial and thorough investigations of employee disciplinary matters, employee or student grievances, and allegations of discrimination or non-compliance, and makes recommendations in consultation with the Director of Human Resources.
2. Develops and conducts workplace trainings related to federal and state laws, rules, and regulations, as well as College policies and procedures, related to employee relations.
3. Provides direct assistance for the formulation and implementation of College policies and procedures as they affect the human resources area with a focus on employee relations.
4. Consults with administration to develop strategies for resolving employee relations issues.
5. Consults with employees to clarify and analyze problems, focus discussions, and develop a mutually satisfactory process for resolution.
6. Formulates procedures for supervisors, according to College policies, objectives and mission and federal, state, and local laws.
7. Investigates facts and prepares documents to assist college legal counsel on litigation issues or personnel matters, as needed.
8. Analyzes employees' perceptions that affect employee morale, motivation, and efficiency and makes recommendations for improvement.
9. Provides college personnel assistance in identifying, evaluating, and resolving human relations and work performance problems to facilitate communication and improve employee relations and work performance.
10. Monitors complaint and grievance process and adheres to timelines.
11. Maintains records of grievance actions, formal investigations, and complaints.
12. Prepares affidavits and maintains document files.
13. Facilitates group meetings using diplomacy and negotiation skills in order to communicate among parties in conflict.
14. In partnership with the college's legal counsel, participates in hearings and mediations by performing such tasks as interviewing potential witnesses, hearing preparation, and preparing exhibits.
15. Responds to and handles unemployment compensation claims.
16. Keeps current with state and federal laws and regulations through official publications and communication with appropriate agencies.
17. Participates in Title IX committee and others, as assigned.
18. Travels throughout the college district, as needed.
19. Assists director and/or assistant director with projects and other administrative duties, as needed.
20. Recommends for hire, supervises, trains, assigns schedules, and evaluates the employee relations specialists; provides guidance concerning professional development.
21. Serves as Campus Security Authority.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred.
2. At least five (5) years of experience in employee/labor relations required.
Checks, Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
1. All applicants are subject to a national criminal background check under South Texas College policy.
2. Security Sensitive position: In addition, subject to federal background check.
3. Must have valid Texas driver's license and proof of liability insurance.
4. Title IX Investigator certification, preferred.
5. Certified mediator, preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Texas College is an equal education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. As an equal education institution and equal opportunity employer, the College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Discrimination is prohibited and the College will comply with all applicable College policies, and state and federal legislation. This policy extends to individuals seeking employment with and admission to the College.
Title IX Statement
Title IX of the Education Amendments 1972 (20 U.S.C. s1681 et seq.) and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX), “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
To apply, visit: https://stcjobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/12609
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency