Academic and Career Success Guide
Position DetailsPosition Information Position Type Civil Service Classification Title Graduate Placement Officer Position's Functional Title Academic and Career Success Guide Position Start Date 08/01/2019 Position End Date (if temporary) Position Summary
The Center for the Junior Year (CJY) at Governors State University (University Park, IL) invites applications to serve the university community as an Academic and Career Success Guide.
We seek an individual who can assist students as they explore fields of study and matriculate into a major. We seek one that can help students understand alternative pathways (majors, co-curricular, hidden pathways) to find their passion that will lead to a career. This role will also help students understand early, mid, and late-career positions for desired career fields. The Academic and Career Success Guide will work closely with the CJY Director and Faculty in Residence Coordinators to plan and develop major and career exploration seminars both at GSU and at partner community colleges.
The Center for the Junior Year is an innovative office with the purpose to be the place that empowers students to overcome their barriers to degree completion. The Center serves a wide array of needs for GSU students including major and career exploration, peer mentoring, scholarship and experiential learning search assistance, and student ombudsperson assistance amongst other needs. Our faculty coordinators and staff are dedicated to advancing the teaching, research, and service missions of the university.Minimum Qualifications
1. A Bachelor’s Degree or 120 semester hours and one year of placement experience that included the consulting and placing of college or university graduates into different job categories
2. Four years of placement experience that included the consulting and placing of college or university graduates into different job categoriesPreferred Qualifications
1. Minimum of one year experience working in career development guidance through evidence of placement of students in internships or post-graduation positions.
2. Evidence of understanding of university majors and careers that can be served by those majors
3. Ability to create and deliver workshops on career and major exploration
4. Experience in working with students in diverse cultures and ethnic backgrounds
5. Experience in working with employers to identify skills required of job applicants
Experience advising students
6. Experience working with a range college student types (e.g. Freshman-Senior; traditional and non-traditional; adult learners)
7. Experience helping students with job placement
8. Ability to help students with understanding pathways to completing graduate education
All Civil Service positions at Governors State University require an exam. The exam type for this position is a Credentials Assessment. Applicants are not required to report in person for this exam. You will receive your examination score via e-mail within 2 weeks after the closing date.
This position requires Illinois residency within 180 days of the hire date.
CREDENTIAL ASSESSMENT EXAM Scoring Information:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to provide documentation that verifies that the minimum qualifications of this Civil Service position have been met. The required documents that are submitted in the online application (cover letter, résumé, and college transcripts, which show the conferred graduation date and earned degree), as well as any included other/optional documents will be reviewed and/or used in the scoring of the Credentials Assessment. These documents must be uploaded prior to the position closing date.
When completing your online application, please be sure to provide detailed information about your work experience, including dates of employment, applicable full-time and part-time employment, and specific duties and responsibilities.
Transcripts/Licenses/Certifications MUST be uploaded electronically to your online application. Due to the high volume of applications received, only college transcripts submitted/attached electronically to this posting will be used for the review and the consideration of this vacancy.
If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Preference Points on a passing examination score, by submitting proof of eligibility to the Department of Human Resources, such as a copy of your DD214/DD215 form (Department of Defense), NGB22 form (National Guard), or Discharge Orders or DD256 Discharge Certificate (Reserves) no later than the position closing date.
Please attach a list of three professional references.
We appreciate your interest in employment at Governors State University.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If you were offered this position would you be able to obtain Illinois State Residency within 180 days of hire if you are not already an Illinois State Resident?
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Doctorate Degree
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Letter of Recommendation
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation