Health Promotion Coordinator
JMU provides comprehensive and innovative educational environments and programs, support services, and opportunities for students to enhance their health and well-being. The Coordinator for Health Promotion coordinates these efforts by creating an affirming and educational atmosphere that supports JMU’s commitment to learning. The Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director for Health Promotion and supervises a graduate assistant and student staff for health promotion and peer education. This is a 10-month position, active August 10 – June 10 annually. Salary will be paid out over a 12-month period.
This position is focused on students – their learning, development, and achievement – and on enhancing tools for health, well-being, and student success. As such, it is responsible for:
- Coordinating and administering health promotion programs, including campus safer sex centers, educational programs/opportunities facilitated by the REACH peer health educators and serving as a point of reference for other health related programs.
- Serving as the adviser to the REACH peer health educators; providing ongoing opportunities for development, feedback, and growth.
- Supervising a Health Promotion graduate assistant and helping in the development of the Peer Education Student Coordinator.
- Serving as part of the instructional team for UNST 307: Health Education, Facilitation and Synthesis; a class for peer health/well-being educators.
- Serving as a Health Coach and as a referral source and providing consultation as needed to JMU students.
- Representing University Health Center on key University groups and committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in health education/promotion, community health, social work, or other related field.
- Prior experience facilitating and implementing health and wellness programs.
- Ability and willingness to focus on creating, implementing, and assessing high-quality, high-impact educational programs.
- Ability to communicate goals, issues, needs and opportunities to a wide range of people.
- Ability to effectively supervise/guide/coach graduate and student staff.
- Experience advising and supporting students.
- Willingness to obtain the Certified Health Education Specialist Certification or Health Coach Certificate via a National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching approved program.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Community Health, Health Promotion/Wellness, Student Affairs administration, or other related area.
To apply go to http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/5794or visit JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1340. Maximum Starting salary: $33,333
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.