Head Women's Lacrosse Coach/Admissions Counselor
About Maine Maritime Academy
Maine Maritime Academy (MMA) is a public, fully accredited college located in the quintessentially New England coastal village of Castine, Maine. The college is one of six state-supported maritime colleges in the United States.
MMA is a college of engineering, management, science, and transportation with a community of approximately 950 students and 200 faculty and staff. Maine Maritime is a NCAA Division III institution that competes in the North Atlantic Conference, and is a New England Football Conference member.
MMA is a remarkable place to work and grow in a career, rich in opportunity, experiences and rewards. MMA offers a feeling of “family” that is unique. Our goal is to create and sustain a community where all are appreciated and respected for their individual and collective contributions.
Maine Maritime Academy is situated on a picturesque peninsula in the Penobscot Bay, a renowned sailing destination and home to more than 200 islands.
The Academy is only 40 miles from Bangor, Maine’s third largest city and home to Bangor International Airport. It is less than 50 miles from Acadia National Park, where opportunities for outdoor exploration and adventure abound.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sailing, skiing, snowmobiling – all right at your front door!
Maine Maritime employees enjoy competitive wages and some of the best benefits in the state of Maine, including:
• health, dental, and vision insurance
• employer paid life and long-term disability insurance
• retirement plan with generous employer match
• generous paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
• tuition waiver for eligible dependents
Invest in yourself and your future with a career at Maine Maritime Academy!
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefited union staff position under the supervision of the Director of Athletics and Director of Admissions. The employee serves as the head coach of the women’s lacrosse team and runs his or her athletic program in accordance with Maine Maritime Academy, North Atlantic Conference and NCAA rules, regulations and policies. The employee must be committed to promoting academic and athletic achievement in a way that is fully integrated with the mission and vision of Maine Maritime Academy and the NCAA Division III philosophy.
This position is responsible for assisting with all aspects of the admissions and recruitment process. In addition, s/he is responsible for the internal department management of admissions print publications, advertising, and marketing efforts in coordination with the director of marketing.
• Serve as the coach of a varsity program responsible for organizing and directing all aspects of a successful and competitive NCAA Division III Program
• Recruit and retain roster of student-athletes
• Conduct high-quality teaching in a humane learning environment
• Monitor and promote the academic and personal growth of student-athletes • Develop and manage program’s budget
• Operate program in a manner consistent with NCAA and NAC bylaws
• Develop and maintains alumni support for the program
• Supervise assistant coaches
• Develop a prospect management plan
• Meet with and counsel prospective students and families
• Responsible for the development, transmission, and response to targeted and general email campaigns and the collection and maintenance of e-mail database
• May supervise student employees serving as admissions tour guides
• Conduct MMA tours for potential students and parents
• Travel to high schools and college fairs to meet with students, parents, school counselors and alumni
• Meet with candidates for admission and conduct group information sessions, both on and off campus
• Review admission files and recommend admission decision;
• Plan and conduct appropriate follow-up activities off-campus for prospects, parents, school counselors and alumni to meet enrollment goals
• Represent the Academy at on and off-campus events and programs
• Plan and execute a travel plan in designated geographic areas
• Speak publicly to individuals, groups on and off campus
• Develop and maintain close working relationships with key secondary school constituents
• Develop and monitor statistical reports to enhance recruitment strategies, yield management, forecasting, and operational efficiency
• Other duties as assigned
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
• Excellent organization skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize and to handle competing multiple projects
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills required
• Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
• Strong customer service skills
• Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
• Ability to inspire and motivate
• The ability to establish strong and effective personal and professional relationships
• Flexibility, initiative, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to work with and support adolescents and young adults
• Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
• Adept at learning and using software programs
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
• Must have (or obtain within 30 days of hire) AED / CPR / First Aid Certification.
• Computer proficiency/knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
• Energetic, flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person and in writing
• Public speaking experience
• Valid driver’s license is required
• Background check required
• Contacts include Alumni, Parents, Students and various external and internal constituencies
• This job requires the capacity to travel, work long hours, evenings and several weekends as necessary
• Occasionally lift, push and move up to 30 pounds
• Exposure to the elements during regularly scheduled outdoor activities
• Requires occasional lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching
• The duties require moderate to active physical activity.
How to Appl
y Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to [email protected] (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
•Completed MMA Application*
•Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
•Contact information for at least three professional references
•Completed MMA Application Checklist
•MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
Do Not Send Personally Identifiable Information (PII) by email.
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Maine Maritime Academy is an equal opportunity employer. The Academy complies with federal and/or state law that prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran status. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request. Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.