Web Developer Specialist
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03405PWorking TitleWeb Developer SpecialistDepartmentAuxiliary MarketingAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websiteauxiliary.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
This position offers a 40 hour work week. Hours and schedule may vary, but will typically be Monday – Friday.Advertised Salary$34,000 - $50,000 ; Auxiliary reserves the right to adjust this starting salary, commensurate with experience.Posting Date06/20/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date06/20/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleIT (Information Technology) ProfessionalPay GradeFLSAExemptJob FamilyFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications
• Strong understanding of industry best practices and content management systems. Experience with multiple website platforms
• Extremely fluent with HTML5/XHTML and CSS.
• Some experience working with PHP, MySQL Jav aScript, jQuery, YAML, Twig, Drupal, OmniUpdate, and Wordpress
The Web Developer’s role is to manage the expanding web and digital presence of the entire Auxiliary Services Division, including the overarching Auxiliary Admin site and each individual Department’s website content, the online directory, online events and news websites, and digital display and wayfinding platforms. He/She is responsible for transitioning all existing sites from the current platform to the new web platform, and for all programming of digital communications. Responsible for managing any future platform transitions. Collaborates with the Content Manager for strategy, content, organization and overall usability for all channels.
The Web Developer will be expected to remain up to speed on the latest digital tools, technologies, and techniques to ensure the Auxiliary Services Division is keeping up with our peers (some years that will require major website, platform, or infrastructure refresh projects and some years will merely involve maintaining status quo).
The Web Developer will work closely with UGA EITS and Auxiliary Services OIT to ensure the digital channels are performing well in both uptime and speed, and maintain and monitor them to keep them secure. He/She will also support a variety of third-party technology tools (such as: DragonFly, FireBug, Adobe CC, GIT, IIS and OpenSource text editor, etc).
Knowledge of relational software applications; experience with SQL server, HTML, CSS and other web-based applications; experience with programming languages such as C#, Python, or Java is a plus; ability to work independently, be a self-starter and take initiative to learn new technologies; exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to organize, interpret and convert key information to be objectively presented in clear, concise, and informative manner to diverse audiences; flexibility and adaptability to shift to changing priorities and needs; working knowledge of UGA branding guidelines and policies as specified at http://brand.uga.edu. Project management skills a plus.Physical Demands
Sitting or standing at a computer desk for long periods of time; lift and transport up to 35 lbs. as needed.Is driving required to perform essential duties outlined in this position? (This does not include infrequent trips) The successful candidate would have to provide proof that s/he has a valid driver's license when offered employment.Does this position have financial responsibilities?NoDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT and MAINTENANCE
• Create, edit, manage and maintain web sites and/or applications that support unit initiatives.
• Develop web standards and guidelines for style, content and code through 1) research of current web trends, 2) usability testing of clients, 3) surveys of clients and content managers, 4) administrative feedback and benchmarks, 5) university computer use policies and 6) relevant laws (e.g. 508 compliance and copyright).
• Monitor and analyze web-related statistics; identify trends in the nature, frequency, and types of services requested, and use this data to continually improve content and quality of services.
• Implement appropriate security measures to safeguard data and restrict access appropriately.
• Audit web sites and applications to ensure that standards are met, security measures are in place and determine and address the impact of new requirements and programming changes required. Ensure websites perform and display content across mobile, tablet and desktop devices.
• Design, develop and maintain web applications (e.g. data modeling, coding, integration, testing, debugging, maintenance, documentation code libraries and reporting.)
• Develop and troubleshoot pre-existing digital and wayfinding displays and convert to new systems as necessary using technical specifications according to Auxiliary Services Division and UGA standards.
• Responsible for installations of upgrades to existing systems and related application software; ensures completion of routine maintenance with the appropriate IT staff/website vendor.
• Collaborate with Content Manager to design and build user interfaces for new digital and wayfinding displays
• Provide end-user support and create supporting documentation.
• In conjunction with with UGA EITS and Auxiliary Services OIT, ensure the digital channels are performing well in both uptime and speed, and maintain and monitor them to keep them secure.
• Support a variety of third-party technology tools (i.e.: DragonFly, FireBug, Adobe CC, GIT, IIS and OpenSource text editor).
• Responsible for maintaining data integrity by ensuring data backup systems are maintained and properly utilized.
Training and Development:
• Remain current and informed on the latest development tools, technologies, and techniques.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- * What are your salary expectations?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess a valid driver's license?
- No Response
- Cover Letter
- Media Portfolio
- Other Documents #1
- List of References with Contact Information