Student Support Specialist I
To advance the college's mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The principal purpose of this position is to provide general support, assistance and mentoring for English Language Learner. The position will be required to provide accurate information to students about college programs, policies, and the transfer process; works cooperatively with students and college personnel to improve student success; serves as a positive and helpful resource to prospective and current students, colleagues and families. The position will require time to be spent in the community to be an advocate for Kirkwood Community College. Customer service is a paramount attribute for this position, requiring the person to be positive and helpful.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Assist English Language Learners with Student in the following:
- Advise, assist and lead sessions for applicants, students, and parents regarding the process of applying for and receiving financial aid, as well as the presentation of financial literacy topics
- Advise students in an explanation of all types of financial aid
- Loan Counseling and advising on borrowing
- Assist students in interpreting tuition statement and receive tuition payments
- Assist with MPN and Entrance counseling for first time borrowers
- Orientation preparation and interpretation for the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City campuses
- Assist students in completing required documents for financial aid
- Assist in the explanation of Satisfactory Academic Progress helping students understand the significance of completion rate and GPA as they pertain to Financial Aid
- SAP Financial Aid Suspension and Policy override drafting
- Assist in advising sessions to determine educational goals
- Train students on Kirkwood's student technology
- Assist the Dean of Student's office with social issues, disciplinary actions and conflict resolution
- Conduct outreach to the local community by establishing relationships with community partners and agencies and communicating with local ELL high school programs
- General advices on the community and the housing
- Be able and willing to represent the College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Be a creative, energetic, and self-motivated individual who demonstrates leadership and collaborative work habits within the department and in active participation in college committees.
- Must enjoy working with other people and the public and exhibit skill in working accurately with complex details.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, logically and coherently orally and in writing.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Be able to work effectively in both an individual role involving independent judgment, as well as in a team role involving shared input and decision-making.
- Be able to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Associates Degree.
- Fluent in Arabic and English.
- Experience working with diverse student populations.
- Experience working in student services.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- An overall desire to assist students.
- Preference given to candidates that fluent in several languages other than English.
- Preference given to candidates with a Bachelor's degree.
Kirkwood Community College declares and affirms that it values and respects diversity and inclusion in all College-sponsored events, all employment practices, and all educational programs and activities. The College will not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment of persons on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, religion, or disability.
Anyone who has questions or complaints should contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, or by phone to (319) 398-5572, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: (312) 730-1560, Fax: (312) 730-1576, Email: [email protected].