Academic Advisor/University College for Academic Success (UCAS)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number SF00805 Job Title Academic Advisor/University College for Academic Success (UCAS) Position Number 108975 FTE 1.00 FLSA Exempt Position Type Professional Staff Union PSA/NEA - Professional Staff Assoc Pay Grade Level 10 Pay Grade Range $54,357 - $68,007 Status Calendar Year, Full-time, Permanent Department Information Department University College for Academic Success Contact(s) Contact Phone/Extension Contact Email Physical Demands Campus Location Kingston Grant Funded No Extension Contingency Notes Duties and Responsibilities
Provide academic advising for undergraduates in University College for Academic Success (UCAS) as well as serve as liaison to degree colleges, helping students who are matriculating as well as those who need alternative degree pathways. Advisors are assigned to designated academic majors, providing individual and group advising to facilitate the transition to college and progression to graduation in a timely manner. Advisors collaborate with faculty in the degree-granting colleges to assist with students’ progress to degree, curriculum materials, and all advising issues to best meet student needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Advise and monitor progress of UCAS students, ensuring progress toward graduation in a timely fashion.
Initiate student contact, providing intrusive advising outreach whenever possible.
Collaborate with and support other advisors in UCAS
Participate in academic reviews in UCAS as required.
Assist in planning and executing programs as required.
Advise in orientation sessions.
Support student needs in the summer and during breaks throughout the calendar year.
Assist students exploring majors.
Work closely with experiential/internship and career advisors to provide up-to-date information related to internship, major and career choices.
Work evenings and weekends as necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform additional duties as required.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Computers, printers; database management and spreadsheet software; student record-keeping systems.Required Qualifications
1. Master’s degree with a minimum of two years of experience in academic advising, time as a graduate student included, or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years providing academic advising in a higher education setting.
2. Demonstrated experience working with current or aspiring college students.
3. Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
4. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
5. Demonstrated experience and commitment to integrating issues of inclusion and equity in your work.Preferred Qualifications
1. Master’s degree in college student personnel in higher education and counseling, or in a comparable program.
2. Demonstrated ability to utilize current social media applications, Sakai (or similar platform), on-line advising, presentation technology and student records systems (preferably People-soft).
3. Demonstrated experience with Starfish systems.
4. Demonstrated skills in assessment.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.Environmental Conditions
Positions is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.Posting Date 06/19/2019 Closing Date 07/02/2019 Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter.
(#3) The names and contact information of three professional references.Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6038 Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's degree with a minimum of two years of experience in academic advising, time as a graduate student included, or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years providing academic advising in a higher education setting?
- * Do you have demonstrated experience working with current or aspiring college students?
- * Do you have demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills?
- * Do you have demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations?
- * Do you have demonstrated experience and commitment to integrating issues of inclusion and equity in your work?
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral