Sports Information Director
Sports Information Director
The Sports Information Director will oversee the day-to-day communications and media relations to actively promote 22 NCAA Division III sports under the supervision of the Athletic Director. This is a 12-month job.
Responsibilities (Including but not limited to)
- Manage and maintain iwusports.com, the athletics department website (Illinois Wesleyan and all conference schools are Sidearm clients).
- Serve as the University’s primary liaison between the athletic department and all print and electronic media on a local, regional and national level.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure consistency with the overall marketing and communication strategy of the university.
- Write and edit various department communication materials, including but not limited to; press releases, game notes, individual athlete and coach biographies and content for the website.
- Maintain statistics for all sports, working in-game for all home events and tournaments and handling other information as needed for road games. Provide pre- and post-game information to fans (programs) and media (statistical results).
- In charge of managing and populating social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for Illinois Wesleyan Athletics
- Compile historical records, statistics and photographs among other important department information.
- Support and oversee nominations and promotion of student-athletes and coaches for awards, including weekly conference honors. The University has a rich history of Academic All-America® honorees.
- Write and edit copy for special events such as Tommy Awards and Senior Banquet
- Solicit advertisements for use in annual football program and on iwusports.com
- Oversee photography for headshots and for live game coverage
- Oversee supervision of (2) sports information graduate assistants, a position filled every two years in coordination with Illinois State University
- Oversee hiring, scheduling, and supervision for student assistants on work study programs, including one summer student worker or intern
Travel with teams when deemed appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field
- Knowledge and/or previous experience in NCAA division III athletics, standards, rules and regulations
- Proficiency in Statcrew statistical software or similar (Presto or NCAA Genius) for every team sport
- Proficiency in web content editing via Sidearm or Presto and desktop publishing, including MS Office Applications and Adobe Premier software (InDesign and Photoshop)
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to supervise and work with college student staff while maintaining a professional attitude
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with an ability to get along well with diverse personalities while being tactful, mature, and flexible
Submit a letter of application, resume and name, address, phone number of three references specific to this position to athletic director Mike Wagner, [email protected]
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Successful applicant will be required to submit official academic transcripts prior to appointment.
Illinois Wesleyan University and the Athletics Department are strongly committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering, a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. Applicants should provide a clear statement describing their understanding of inclusion and how their experiences have prepared them to contribute to the IWU commitment of building a diverse and inclusive environment.