HVAC SHOP SUPERVISOR
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number CS00818 Job Title HVAC SHOP SUPERVISOR Position Number 5895 FTE FLSA Pay Rate $42,756 - 47,829 PLUS SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL Salary Range Pay Grade Level 320 Position Type Classified Civil Service Staff Union C94/L528 - Council 94/Local 528 (Serv/Maint) Status Calendar Year, Full-time, Limited Restriction or Limitation Reason Leave to Protect Status End Date of Restriction or Limitation
POSITION IS LIMITED TO 06/20/20Department Information Department Maintenance & Repair Contact(s)
Donna L. Charron
Supervising Employee Relations Officer
Office of Human Resource Administration
80 Lower College Road
Kingston, RI 02881
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To be responsible for supervising the activities of a staff engaged in a program of building maintenance, heating ventilating and air conditioning maintenance and repair; energy management and activities; to assist in the requisition of necessary supplies and materials; assist in the inspection of building service contracts and the inspection of construction and maintenance and repair; and to do related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Received general and specific directions from a superior with some latitude for use of independent judgement, work is subject to occasional review upon completion.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises and assigns work to a maintenance force which includes skilled trades, skilled and semi-skilled laborers; makes specific assignments and gives instructions in methods and procedures when necessary; usually inspects work during process and upon completion for compliance with instructions.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
To supervise and work in conjunction with the activities of skilled trades staff engaged in a progam of buildings and grounds maintenance.
To supervise the maintenance and repair of various types of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems.
To maintain, adjust, and repair various energy management systems located throughout the facility.
To supervise and work in conjunction with the operation, maintenance, repair and gas reclamation for a wide variety of commercial and household refrigeration and ice making units, using a variety refrigeration gases and medium.
To supervise various vendors and contractors engaged in building maintenance services and repairs.
To maintain records of materials used and prepare reports of progress on specific assignments.
To make inspections of buildings and grounds to determine repairs and maintenance needed.
To supervise and maintain the preventative maintenance program for the heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems.
To read blueprints for specifications for various maintenance jobs, to estimate materials, and to requisition supplies.
To assist in obtaining clarification of billing payments, requisitions, purchase orders and invoices.
To submit written requests for supplies and equipment, including the determination of kind, size, quantity, and quality.
To do related work as required.Required Qualifications
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT:
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES: A thorough knowledge of the practices, techniques, tools, equipments and materials used in the operation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems and skill in the applications of such practices and techniques; a working knowledge of safety measures and precautions of building maintenance and construction; the ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of a varied group of skilled and semi-skilled workers; the ability to deal effectively with superiors, vendors and contractors; the ability to make and work from sketches and plans for improvement or alteration of buildings and equipment; the ability to eliminate amounts of material necessary for assigned maintenance work; a working knowledge of computer based energy management systems; and related capacities and abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
EDUCATION: Such as may be gained through graduation from a senior high school; and
EXPERIENCE: Such as may have been gained through employment in a responsible position in the field of heating ventilating and air conditioning; employment as a journeyman refrigeration mechanic; employment in the field of energy management with experience in energy management and preventative maintenance.
OR, any combination of education and experience that shall substantially be equivalent to the above education and experience.
At the time of appointment, must possess a RI State Refrigeration License issued by the State Department of Labor & Training, Office of Professional Regulation (Pipefitters/Refrigeration) and must maintain such license as a condition of employment.Preferred Qualifications Environmental Conditions
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditionsWork Hours
2:00 PM to 10:30 PM — Monday through Friday
Days Off: Saturday & Sunday
At the time of appointment, applicant must possess a RI State Refrigeration License issued by the State Department of Labor & Training, Office of Professional Regulation (Pipefitters/Refrigeration) and must maintain such license as a condition of employment.Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.uri.edu/postings/6032 Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Required License
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently a State employee who is a member of AFSCME/Council 94?
- Yes--IF YES, I understand that if I am the most senior lateral transfer bidder, fully qualified and in good standing, that I MUST ACCEPT THIS POSITION.
- * Do you currently possess a RI State Refrigeration License issued by the State Department of Labor & Training ?
- * Have you graduated from a senior high school or possess a GED?
- * Have you gained experience through employment in a responsible position in the field of heating ventilating and air conditioning?
- * Have you gained experience through employment as a journeyman refrigeration mechanic?
- * Have you gained experience through employment in the field of energy management?
- * Do you have a thorough knowledge of the practices, techniques, tools, equipments and materials used in the operation, maintenance, and repair of heating ventilating and air conditioning systems and skill in the application of such practices and techniques?
- * Do you have a working knowledge of safety measures and precautions of building maintenance and construction?
- * Have you been responsible for supervising the activities of a staff engaged in a program of building maintenance, heating ventilating and air conditioning maintenance and repair and energy management activities? This would include supervising and assigning work to a maintenance force which includes skilled trades and skilled and semi-skilled laborers.