Mills Teacher Scholars Administrative Assistant
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jun 17, 2019
Closes:: Jun 18, 2020 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Part-time Non-Exempt
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports To: Budget Manager, Mills Teacher Scholars
Mills College is a nationally respected independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for both women and men. Located on 135 lush acres in the foothills of Oakland, California, the College enrolls approximately 946 undergraduate women and 597 graduate women and men. Consistently ranked one of the top colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report and one of the "Best 377 Colleges" by The Princeton Review, Mills provides a dynamic liberal arts education fostering women's leadership, social responsibility, and creativity.
Summary of Position:
Mills Teacher Scholars supports professional development learning opportunities for teachers in East Bay area schools. MTS provides teachers with a framework within which they can formally reflect on their teaching as professionals. This work is done in cohorts, which allows teachers to learn from others as well, and creates communities of teachers who together hone their teaching skills and grow as teachers.
Demand for MTS's programs is growing, and the Administrative Assistant will provide the office administration necessary to support the in-field staff and Director.
Mills Teacher Scholars is a project of the Mills College School of Education, and is fiscally sponsored by Mills College.
Under the direction of the Budget Manager, the administrative assistant will perform a broad range of secretarial, administrative, and technical assistance functions for the Mills Teacher Scholars program.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide administrative support for new school client outreach
- Provide workshop (9), partnership site ( and event (2) support and coordination - preparation, day of, and follow up details
- Maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Assist with tech set up for meetings, workshops, events
- Track supplies needed for workshop and events
- Provide accurate billing and invoice information for workshops and events.
- Provide effective and personal customer service attitude toward colleagues, teachers, board members, and grant-makers, as well as other constituents
- Maintain safe work conditions and comply with established safety policies, practices, procedures, and requirements of Mills College
- Perform related duties as needed
- Assist Executive Director in administrative follow up to meetings
- Assist Executive Director to prepare for presentations at conferences
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Office work or administrative support experience
- Have an excitement to be a part of a growing program
- Highly motivated and energized to streamline administrative work processes
- Excitement about goals and willingness to drive forward on team goals
- A mature sense of responsibility, including the ability to:
- work independently
- willingness to learn
- manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- be detail-oriented
- Comfortable working in a shared office space, with minimal direct supervision and highly detailed deliverables
- Exceptional communication skills
- Provide friendly, timely, and accurate administration support to program staff
- This job requires availability one Saturday and 1-2 evenings a month 6 months out of the year (dates provided well in advance), dependable car a must.
- Have an interest in education and/or teacher learning is a plus
Education and Training:
- Associates degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, PowerPoint, Word, Excel
- Quick to learn new applications as needed, conference call, web cam, videography, subtitling etc.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Work involves considerable sitting time at desk/computer, but also entails moving about the building and campus to obtain/deliver materials and meet with people;
- Much of the work is conducted in a busy area; interruptions and interactions with others are common, especially when school is in session;
- It is often necessary to lift and move somewhat heavy or awkward items
- Deadlines are a routine part of the work
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Pay is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.