Post Doc Research Scholar
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypePost DocIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime-Limited Appointment LengthNoIf Yes, Appointment LengthWorking TitlePost Doc Research ScholarAnticipated Hiring Range$47,500Position Number00105352Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pmFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department112101 - Applied EcologyDepartment 112101 - Applied EcologyJob City & StateRaleigh, NCEssential Job Duties
This Postdoctoral Research Scholar position will work in the lab of Dr. Benjamin Reading, in collaboration with Dr. Rob Dunn. The research will consider the microbiology associated with fish eggs and skin, both in the context of the ecology and evolution of fish eggs in the wild and as it relates to management; the role of wasps and ants in traditional vineyards; the biology of plants; the potential value of microbes in camel crickets to industrial waste remediation; and the biology of foods such as sourdough bread. In general, this position will use insights from basic ecology and evolution to make new discoveries but also to achieve applied goals.
This position will interact with a diverse group of researchers and students; thus, benefit from new and established intra- and inter-institution collaborations.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Experience/Education
Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., M.D., D.V.M., Sc.D.) in appropriate field awarded no more than five (5) years from initial date of postdoctoral appointment.Departmental Required Skills
- PhD in Ecology, Evolution, Biology, Microbiology, or related fields.
- Possess a background in culturing microbes and the study of microbial natural history.
- Documented evidence of strong scholarship, including peer-reviewed publications, particularly in high ranked journals.
- Experience in sequence-based approaches to the study of microbial life.
- Expertise in ecology and evolution and in addressing questions in a clear hypothesis-testing framework.
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to finish projects.
Please attach the following documents to your application:
1) A short cover letter (with a very brief description of research interests and experience). The candidate’s letter should emphasize the candidate’s ability to finish projects and the unique skills the candidate might bring to NC State University.
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Contact Information for 3 Professional References
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.04/06/2018Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date05/01/2018AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References