Fiscal Analyst 3 - Payroll
Posting DetailsPosting Details Working Title Fiscal Analyst 3 - Payroll Posting Number 2019014CP Position Information Classification Title Fiscal Analyst 3 Classification Code 143K RCW Exemption Criteria No Exemption EWU Position Number C99847 CUPA Code FLSA Non-Exempt Bargaining Unit BU 1 % Full Time 100 Salary / Wage Range CS - 50 Salary Information
$45,996 – $60,348Anticipated Start Date As soon as possible Term of Appointment 12 months Location Cheney, Washington County Spokane Project Description Project Duration Background Check Yes - Access to Funds or other items of value Responsible HR User Vara Lyn Conrath Responsible HR User Email address [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
This recruitment will close for applications at midnight June, 21, 2019. Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a Fiscal Analyst 3 to work in the payroll office. This position analyzes and processes payroll to ensure accurate and timely employee payments and vendor reporting, which includes federal and state tax reporting. This position performs senior level specialized payroll activities where they will independently plan, coordinate and conduct their assigned workload under general supervision of the Payroll Manager. Assigned tasks rotate among all senior level FA3 positions within the payroll office to provide adequate cross training and backup of necessary and vital payroll responsibilities.
Open until Filled: This is an open recruitment, three days’ notice will be provided prior to closure of recruitment.
The candidate selected for this position will receive competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes: Highly subsidized health/dental plans, life and LTD insurance, a retirement plan, free STA bus transportation, a generous paid vacation and sick leave plan, 11 paid holidays, tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value. Successful applicant will be required to pass a background check prior to the first date of employment.
This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]Pre-Placement Physical No Hearing Test No Medical Monitoring Post Hire No Protective Equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or closely related field, which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting and/or auditing
- Two years’ experience working with payroll or other related business field
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Willing to accept a position with high demands for attendance on critical days such as payroll processing
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Experience working in a payroll office using an integrated payroll enterprise system
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrate and foster a culture of ethical leadership, a commitment to diversity, and encourage a supportive team-oriented work environment
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.Posting Date 04/17/2019 Open Until Further Notice Yes Closing Date Screening to Begin Immediately Special Instructions to Applicants
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form.
4. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Payroll Processing, Reporting and Validation
This position is a key employee in payroll processing, performing the following activities:
•Run the payroll processing cycle on a rotating basis with other payroll staff
•Set-up deductions in the payroll system and calculate and input needed adjustments including garnishments, medical, retirement and other miscellaneous deductions
•Calculate, verify and enter leave and comp-time cash-outs, retro pay and timesheet corrections
•Calculate, verify, collect and input overpayments
•Correspond with employees and take corrective action as needed for deduction adjustments and overpayments
•Calculate shared leave hours given, received and returned for employees
•Verify payroll input and calculations of other payroll staff
•Prepare and verify vendor payments and journal entries. This includes electronically uploading payroll data and payments
•Responsible for deduction/benefits reconciliations of payroll and vendor accounts
•Serve as liaison with vendors, benefits office and information technology staff
•Prepare regular and amended quarterly payroll reports for state and federal taxes
•Research payroll requirements for establishing other state tax reporting
•Annually assist with W2 preparation and reporting
•Assist with researching rules, laws, policies and procedures using different sources, such as authoritative manuals, union contracts, IRS and State laws, in order to update and maintain the payroll system
Payroll System Maintenance
•Assist with implementation and maintenance of the Banner HR/Payroll system, which includes interpreting regulations and applying them to system processes
•Update and verify tables in the payroll system, such as deductions, earnings, and the payroll calendar
•Test changes and upgrades by running test payrolls and validating outcomes
Procedure Maintenance and Documentation
•Assist in the review and implementation of changes to internal procedures for compliance with EWU, state and federal policies, procedures and regulations
•Continual review of payroll processing for efficiency and improvements
•Answer questions from employees and department personnel on payroll procedures and policies
•Notify campus community of payroll deadlines and processing changes
•Draft or suggest edits to written payroll procedures for both departmental use and outward-facing to the campus
•Draft campus wide emails and send website update requests as needed
•Utilize system query tools and the report writer for data validation, reporting and problem solving
•Answer employee questions related to paychecks, deductions, etc.
•Answer questions from university department personnel related to payroll feeds to the Finance system
•Perform other duties as required
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2