Manager, Registration and Commencement - Georgetown University Law Center
Manager, Registration and Commencement - Georgetown University Law Center
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Manager, Registration and Commencement oversees all aspects of new student registration, including coordinating first-year and graduate student registration for approximately 1,200 students, administering summer school registration, and admitting and registering applicants to the limited visitor and non-degree program. In addition, s/he is the point of contact for all new students, including transfer and visiting students. The Manager also advises students on issues including, but not limited to, course selection and curriculum offerings, immunization requirements, billing, and orientation to the law school and the Washington, DC area. Furthermore, the incumbent supervises the set-up of the registration site for the participating offices as well as all temporary staff. Reporting to the Associate Registrar, the Manager, Registration and Commencement has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates all aspects of first - year, graduate, transfer, and visiting student registration for approximately 1200 students annually, serving as a vital resource to new students as a point of contact.
- Advises students on a broad range of issues including, but not limited to: curriculum offerings and course selection, registration processing, immunization requirements, billing, housing, law school preparation, and orientation to the Law Center and the Washington, DC area.
- Determines section assignment for all incoming first-year students and registers them for courses, ensuring that all sections remain balanced and monitoring all withdrawals and admits.
- Authorizes section assignment change requests, balancing Law Center policy regarding section changes with a student's legitimate needs.
- Registers new Graduate, Transfer, and Visiting Students, based on their course requests and seat availability.
- In conjunction with JD Assistant Deans, ensures transfer students are registered for any missing required first-year courses.
- Reviews new graduate student records to verify satisfactory completion of course pre-requisites and supervises new student registration temporary staff and oversees set-up of registration site.
- Monitors registration site and resolves any issues which may arise, registering students without proof of undergraduate or J.D. degree on a provisional basis.
- Ensures timely processing of course withdrawals, leaves of absences, and withdrawals from the Law Center as approved by an Academic Advisor or Dean of Students, with appropriate notifications to faculty, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, as applicable.
- Interacts with registrars and deans at other law schools to retrieve grades for students who are approved to visit away so that students may graduate on time.
- Serves as a liaison between the students and decanal and Registrar's staffs at home and visiting institution.
- Manages processes with respect to annual preparations for commencement, corresponding with students and faculty regarding graduation events and attendance, degree applications, and honors and awards recipients.
- Coordinates with Office of the President on Honorary Degree diplomas and appropriate signatures to be included on diplomas, the University Registrar, and with other schools within the University with respect to joint degree graduates and other University-wide commencement issues.
- Works with the Certification and Audit Specialist to ensure that all graduating students have met the graduation requirements.
- Ensures accuracy of the Law Center's graduating class as recorded in the Law Center's Commencement and Awards booklet which is distributed to faculty and departments including the Office of Alumni Affairs.
- Oversees logistical preparations of the University's Commencement Program, including submitting and proofing information for May Commencement Program and Law Center Program & Awards book, ordering and preparing diplomas and other graduation ceremony supplies, and coordinating the Order of the Coif process.
- Oversees graduation clearance, communications, and procedures for graduating students, managing the preparation of February, May, and Summer School Applicants.
- Administers summer school application process and registration and reviews each summer school applicants' academic records to ensure they meet GU Law standards.
- Responds to questions concerning all aspects of services offered by the Office of the Registrar in particular and the Law Center generally.
- Handles emergency situations, addresses student concerns, and interacts on a dailybasis with faculty, students, and other outside constituencies.
- Explains, analyzes, and interprets Law Center regulations, policies, and procedures, requiring extensive knowledge of all rules to make decisions and exceptions independently.
- Maintains regular communications withco-workersto stay up-to-date regarding policy and deadline adjustments.
- Serves as the "on -call" person for duties outside of regular responsibilities when co-workers are absent or need additional assistance including, but not limited to: assisting with exam administration, serving as head proctor, and graduation duties.
- Bachelor's Degree; Master's degree preferred
- At least 3 years of continuous work experience in a demanding environment requiring demonstrated multitasking and organizational skills
- Computer-literate, with advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, e-mail systems, and PC-based database management programs, such as Microsoft Access, all in a Windows environment
- Familiarity with internet research tools with the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Highly motivated, detail oriented, and organized with excellent time management skills
- Strong and demonstrated ability to effectively meet goals and deadlines
- ood listening skills, diplomacy, the power to use authority wisely, and an ability to establish priorities are critical to success in this position
- Demonstrated flexibility and agility in handling multiple complex projects in fast-paced environment while maintaining professionalism
- Work experience in higher education or customer service is preferred
- Knowledge of and prior use of Banner and MyDegree is highly desirable
Additional Information About this Position
Because of the cyclical nature of the Registrar's Office responsibilities, every employee is called upon to work extended hours (including some weekend time) several times each semester (registration, add-drop, exams, commencement). A positive attitude and a willingness to devote as much time is required to do the job right is a necessary attribute in this department. The incumbent must also recognize that during peak times of the year registration, graduation, and exams - (s)he will be called upon to assume responsibilities outside his or her established scope of work. The Office of the Registrar maintains a team-oriented environment; and it is vital that the incumbent understand and accept his or her role as part of this team.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Law-Center/Manager--Registration-and-Commencement---Georgetown-University-Law-Center_JR06867
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency