Program Director - Georgetown University Law Center
Program Director - Georgetown University Law Center
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The National Security Program Director oversees the national security JD and LL.M. and student experience at Georgetown Law. This position will design and develop major program components including strategy, policy, and process. S/he maintains curricula, conducts research, leads professional conferences, and provides student support. While producing ideas for faculty review and implementing programs that reflect faculty interest, the incumbent will evaluate effectiveness to meet programmatic goals.
Reporting to the Faculty Director of the Center on National Security and the Law (CNSL), the Program Director has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
Student and Alumni Professional Development
- Oversee students' academic choices, career preparation, and job placement.
- Assist with new student orientation, with a particular emphasis on incoming national security law students.
- Advise JD and LL.M. students on courses appropriate to their interests and future goals.
- Run the law school's annual Security Clearance Workshop for interested students.
- Provide opportunities for students to meet with legal professionals in all aspects of national security law to help them to learn about a variety of different possible career paths through talks, panels, discussions, site visits, and other events.
- Run the annual National Security Career Fair, in conjunction with George Washington Law School and the American Bar Association, held alternately at Georgetown Law and George Washington Law.
- Maintain a database of former students and individuals connected with Georgetown Law who have experience or are practicing in the field of national security law.
- Maintain the program's Linkedln site.
- Provide career advice to JD and LL.M. students and help them to connect with alumni in the field to ensure that they have the best advice going forward.
- Circulate job opportunities to current students and alumni.
- Provide educational and career advice to Georgetown Law alumni who want to move into national security law or who are already in the field.
- Continue to strengthen Georgetown Law's national security curriculum.
- Undertake an annual, comprehensive curriculum review, meeting with the Faculty Director of CNSL and the national security faculty cohort to: determine which courses would enhance the offerings at Georgetown Law; reduce duplicative courses; eliminate outmoded courses; and identify potential adjunct faculty for needed areas.
- Help to develop practicums, internships, and externships in the field.
- Evaluate adjunct faculty and provide them with pedagogical assistance to strengthen their performance in the classroom.
Marketing and Recruiting
- Market the program to and recruit top JD and LL.M. national security law students.
- Develop, contribute to, and help to maintain the national security law program's website.
- Maintain an online presence for the program in social media.
- Assist Faculty in annually selecting the national security law scholar.
- In partnership with the Faculty Director, design and implement a strategic vision for the JD/LL.M. and LL.M. in National Security Law.
- Create regular and ongoing opportunities for national security Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, and Students to provide feedback on the JD/LL.M. program.
- Create regular and ongoing opportunities for Georgetown Law to hear from professionals in the field what the most important skills are for students to develop at Georgetown Law and beyond.
- J.D. degree
- At least 7 years of progressive experience related to this field
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong collaborative skills
- Experience in and good knowledge of the field of national security law
- A commitment to excellence in the classroom, curricular development, and career placement for the students
- Experience in academic administration as well as management and mentorship is preferred
- Law School transcripts required
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Law-Center/Program-Director---Georgetown-University-Law-Center_JR06866
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency