Marketing & Communication Specialist
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitlePublic Communication SpecialistBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleMarketing & Communication SpecialistSalary Range$31,200 - $83,965Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education and experienceSalary Grade Equivalency69Position Number00101286Work Schedule8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday, occasional extra hours requiredDoes the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department262101 - Small Business Technology Development CenterDepartmentSmall Business and Technology Development CenterJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The University of North Carolina System’s Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC), in partnership with the US Small Business Administration, is the recognized, primary organization through which the state of North Carolina provides business counseling, management education, and technology development services to help the business community successfully meet challenges, manage change, and plan for the future.Essential Job Duties
The Marketing and Communication Specialist independently supports the Small Business and Technology Development Center’s (SBTDC) marketing, branding and communications efforts. Areas of work include: branding, graphics, public relations, writing, interviewing, design for print and digital media, and social media strategy and implementation.
The Marketing and Communication Specialist is responsible for:
- Developing the annual SBTDC publications plan. Manage communications projects (e.g. State of Small Business, Annual Report) from start to finish – creating schedules, conveying assignments, monitoring progress, meeting deadlines.
- Applying thorough knowledge of design, writing, and editing to produce communications content. Ensure a consistent brand identify and oversee the statewide brand standards guide. Design SBTDC publications, print ads, brochures, flyers, business cards, stationary, and more. Create materials for statewide and regional events.
- Interviewing and photographing SBTDC clients across the state and write success stories for the SBTDC Annual Report and other print and web use.
- Leading SBTDC new media efforts. Research and make recommendations for SBTDC statewide digital strategy. Develop social media plan. Determine social media content and platforms (including blogs, Twitter and LinkedIn) and schedule via an aggregator (e.g. Hootsuite).
- Writing and distributing press releases on a variety of topics; copyedit content for print and web publications.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with SAO staff and field staff at SBTDC offices statewide. Provide communications guidance to staff around SBTDC branding, event-related publications, press releases, articles and social media. Work with SBTDC staff and partners to ensure that the SBTDC’s look and message is presented consistently.
- Providing branding and communications advice to SBTDC clients as requested.
- Working closely with the Web Manager on SBTDC website content and design, and provide back-up as needed.
- Maintaining familiarity with the SBTDC’s Strategic Plan, organizational structure, services, outcomes and impact, and effectively communicating this information internally and externally.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
- Excellent graphic design skills.
- Superior written communication skills, including copy writing and editing.
- Exceptional project management skills and attention to detail.
- Strong marketing / branding knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience working collaboratively with marketing and web development team.
- Proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat) or related software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint or relevant software.
- Knowledge of printing processes, including pre-pressing and color modes.
- Familiarity with copyright laws.
- Basic knowledge and experience using HTML 4/5 and CSS 3.
- Experiences designing HTML email marketing campaigns and newsletters.
- Photography experience.
- 2+ years related experience.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, a separate document containing contact information for three professional references, and a portfolio of work (if electronic, upload a document that includes a link to your portfolio).Job Open Date06/14/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)06/21/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAlternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Public Communication Specialist position.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in a related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in an unrelated field and four years of related experience
- Associate's in a related and two years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related field to equal at least 4 years (ex. 1 year towards a related degree and 3 years of related experience)
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 8 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 7 years of related experience)
- None of the above
- * Describe your experience with Graphic Design?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe in 3-4 sentences your experience with HTML and CSS coding?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Other Document (1)
- Other Document (2)
- Other Document (3)