Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery
College of Medicine
As one of the oldest medical schools in the country, the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (COM) has a reputation for training best-in-class health care professionals and developing cutting-edge procedures and research that improves the health and clinical care of patients. In partnership with the UC Health academic healthcare system and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, College of Medicine’s doctors are transforming the world of medicine every day. The Department of Otolaryngology is a top-tier department with renowned faculty and staff. With world-class research, teaching and medical practice opportunities, why not choose the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine?
UC is one of the largest employers in the Cincinnati region, employing over 15,000 full time and part time faculty, staff and student workers. The College of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, is looking for a Speech & Language Pathologist. This position will support the University’s mission and commitment to excellence and diversity in our students, faculty, staff and all our activities.
Job Summary/Duties: Plan and administer speech language pathology evaluations and plan and implement appropriate treatment. Document provision of such care, utilizes support staff and participate in special projects as designated.
- The position is in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery in the ambulatory care unit. The clinician will be working with Head & Neck Surgery team and the Laryngology team.
- Interacting with the multidisciplinary team, which includes surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, nurse navigators, RNs, social workers and dieticians.
- Proficiency with working in a multidisciplinary team setting and ability to communicate and relay information efficiently with the different members of the team.
- The clinician will be travelling between different office locations.
- Independently performing Videofluoroscopic Swallow Studies (MBSS), Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) exams, videostroboscopic exams.
- Managing an independent case load of adults with voice and swallowing disorders secondary to various medically challenging etiologies using evidence based evaluations and treatments.
- Educating and counseling patients and family members regarding the communication & swallowing disorders the patients are being treated for.
- Participating in monthly H&N cancer support group (in the evenings), journal clubs, resident rounds and continuing education responsibilities.
- Required to finish medical documentation within the specified timelines.
- Organize daily schedule to prioritize responsibilities including the integration of meetings, responsibilities, or tasks into schedule without negative impact on patient care or productivity.
- Master’s Degree in Speech Language Pathology; license issued by Ohio Medical Board as well as Ohio Speech Language Pathology and Audiology Board
- ASHA-CCCs and ASHA membership
- Independent in MBSS (MBSImp certification preferred), FEES, and videostroboscopy
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with voice & swallowing disorders including head and neck cancer, neurologic and neurogenic disorders.
- Previous medical setting experience
- Interest in clinical research in dysphagia and/or head and neck cancer
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP).
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / M / F / Veteran / Disabled.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:INS SF:INS